Thread: Spybot STILL adding cookies to Opera browser ver 12.16

Exclamation Spybot STILL adding cookies to Opera browser ver 12.16

Greetings again,

With regards to my previous post Spybot is Definitely the culprit.

I just updated and Immunized and there is a new Cookies file!

I watched it in Windows Explorer go gtom 1Kb to 7Kb after the Immunization.

Uninstalling until I hear this issue is resolved.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A bit dated,but I assume the same holds true for Spybot 2.1 and Opera's latest version.Please see here:
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums...comment2700635
    And some of the FAQS I linked to are no longer available,but the general gist is there,so please see here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...wanted-cookies

Smile Thanks for clarifying this issue.

Wow this is some ass backward way of site blocking that Opera seems to be using.

Clearly not intuitive at all.

As one who does not believe there is such a thing as a 'good' cookie and who wants to see that cookie file empty, and is used to seeing that, I get rather frustrated that this is happening.
    If I am to leave these in after Immunization, how do I know what to delete after a session?
    Since this file is not human readable there is no way to compare and only delete later cookies.
    Also as one that has several thousand listings for site blocking what happens if I add more? More cookies?

How does one manage this.

Since the Opera management has seen fit to dump the Presto engine in favour of blink I doubt I will get this resolved with Opera.

Yet another reason to consider a change....

Again,
    Many Thanks for clarifying this issue.

You're welcome.
    I don't currently have Opera installed to check for sure,because I haven't gotten around to installing Opera yet.But,you should be able to unimmunize just the Opera Cookies part of Immunization,if you would prefer that.I have that option with another browser I use.
    If you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center,run as administrator,then click Immunize,click Check System,then when that's done click Show details.Rightclick,deselect all,then if there is a line that says Opera(Cookies),you'd checkmark only that,then click Undo Immunization.That should remove the cookie immunization but leave all other immunizations in place.
    Not an ideal solution,if you'd like to have the Spybot cookie blocking in place,I know,but it is an option for you to consider,if you like.

Default Interesting work-around - Thanks

Zenobia,

Many Thanks for following up and suggesting this.

It is greatly appreciated and I will give it a try.

You're welcome.

Default workaround tryout

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome.
    Not an ideal solution,if you'd like to have the Spybot cookie blocking in place,I know,but it is an option for you to consider,if you like.
    Agreed, not ideal for me but I'd rather have the protection and deal with the cookies.

Perhaps I'll immunize, copy that cookies.dat to some other location and write a script to replace a changed file with the one created by the immunization on Opera closing...

I'm out of practice when it comes to Opera and Opera immunization,but that sounds like it could be a good workaround.Hope it goes well.

Default workaround...

I'm out of practice when it comes to Opera and Opera immunization,but that sounds like it could be a good workaround.Hope it goes well.
    Just to let you know, I'm using the following process (perhaps it will help someone else):

First you'll need Microsoft's "fciv" (Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier) form this link. Full info is in the Knowledge Base here.

- close Opera browser (for all versions below 15)
    - navigate to the Opera folder (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera)
    - open the file "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\cookies4.dat" with Notepad
    - in Notepad Edit > Select All
    - Delete the contents of the file then Save and quit Notepad
    - Open Spybot and Update and Immunize
    - Copy the new "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\cookies4.dat" to another location.
    - Open a Command Prompt and run "fciv" to generate a hash for the file: "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\cookies4.dat". Note this is a New file generated during the immunization and seems to be necesary to keep Spybot and Opera doing what they need to do.
    - To create a database for a single file and to save it, run the following "fciv" command:

fciv.exe -add C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\cookies4.dat -wp C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera -XML OpreaCookies.XML

NOTE: the above is all one line of command
    - Open Opera and browse. Delete cookies after done.
    - To verify the "cookies4.dat" file has not been changed, run the following in the command prompt:

fciv -v -bp C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera -XML OpreaCookies.XML

NOTE: the above is all one line of command
    - If "fciv" reports a difference, delete the "cookies4.dat" file and replace it with the backup Copy you made OR simply re-mmunize with Spybot.
    Last edited by spryteLy; 2013-09-26 at 19:04. Reason: edited formating

Sorry,I missed your post yesterday.Glad you found a work-around that works for you.Well done.