Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Computer Cleanup

Security Expert-Emeritus Dakeyras's Avatar

Hi.

Robybel is currently unavailable and I will be assisting you for the time being...

Please acknowledge this post and then we will go from there, thank you.
    Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

Thanks for the help Dakeyras

Hi.

Thanks for the help Dakeyras
    Acknowledged and you're welcome!

I see this machine has had some problems running ComboFix successfully, this in itself is not necessarily a bad thing and or the root cause malicious.

Anyway lets proceed as follows shall we...

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):

• Please download TFC to the desktop,
    • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
    • Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.
    • Click the Start button in the bottom left of TFC.
    • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.

Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It should not take longer than a couple of minutes , and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

I advise you keep TFC on the desktop after I give the all clear and run it say at least once per week as it is a very effective piece of software for cleaning out temp' files etc.

Boot.ini Check:

I would like to review the current state of the Boot.ini file to check if it is corrupted or not as follows:

• Open Notepad.
    • Copy and Paste everything from the Code Box below into Notepad:

Code:
    @echo off
    xcopy C:\boot.ini "%userprofile%\desktop\" /h
    attrib -s -h "%userprofile%\desktop\boot.ini"
    ren "%userprofile%\desktop\boot.ini" bootini.txt
    del %0
    • Go to File >> Save As
    • Save File name as Look.bat
    • Change Save as Type to All Files and save the file to the Desktop.
    • It should look like this:

Now double click on the desktop Look.bat to run the batch file. It will self-delete when completed and produce a notepad text file named bootini that should now be on the desktop.

Check Hard Disk For Errors:

Clcik on Start >> Run... then copy/paste the following command into the box and press OK:
    Code:
    cmd /c chkdsk c: |find /v "percent" >> "%userprofile%\desktop\checkhd.txt"
    A blank command window will open on your desktop, then close in a few minutes. This is normal.

A file icon named checkhd.txt should appear the desktop.

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool:

Please download and save Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit to the desktop.

• Double-click on FRST.exe to start FRST.
    • Under Optional Scan ensure both Drivers MD5 and Addition.txt are selected.
    • Now click on the Scan button/radio tab >> at the Scan completed prompt click on OK
    • At the next prompt denoting Addition.txt is saved in the same location FRST tool is run >> click on OK
    • There will now be two logs on your desktop, Addition.txt and FRST.txt. Post the contents of both in your next reply.

Next:

When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:

• How is the computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
    • Boot.ini Check Log(bootini.txt).
    • Check Hard Disk For Errors Log(checkhd.txt).
    • Both FRST logs. <-- Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.

TFC wouldnt work. I tried it twice and each time it frozen the whole system while it was 'shutting down processes' so right at the beginning. I left the computer for a few hours and it was still frozen so I dont think that it was just slow.

Wasnt sure if you wanted me to continue with the other things. Will await your response.

Hi.

TFC wouldnt work. I tried it twice and each time it frozen the whole system while it was 'shutting down processes' so right at the beginning. I left the computer for a few hours and it was still frozen so I dont think that it was just slow.
    Acknowledged...the machine certainly does not want to play nice eh, not to worry these things can occur from time to time.

OK try running TFC in Safe Mode, How to boot into Safe Mode:

Restart the computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, do so.

If any problems refer to this tutorial.

Note: In the event TFC will still not work correctly in Safe Mode either, merely reboot the machine back into Normal Mode and continue with my prior instructions from Boot.ini Check onwards, thank you.

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh set of DDS logs and a link to your previous thread.