Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridding Ask,ciom from home page

Emeritus

hi,

TVAgent, Express Install and Tiny Install
    Not much info on these 3 items, but if you didn't install them or are familiar with them then doing a uninstall cant hurt.

You have only one antivirus installed, right? The log shows both McAfee Anti-Virus and Baidu Antivirus, Only need one AV per machine. It looks like maybe you had Mcafee at one time and uninstalled it and now you have Baidu AV installed.
    Since Malwarebytes removed some items, try resetting Internet Explorer again by clicking on the reset button like you did before.

Note that the free version of Malwarebytes must be updated manually and a scan started manually. It dosnt run in the background. Its good practise to check for updates every few days even if you dont do a scan at that time.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Quote Originally Posted by shelf life View Post
    hi,

Not much info on these 3 items, but if you didn't install them or are familiar with them then doing a uninstall cant hurt.

You have only one antivirus installed, right? The log shows both McAfee Anti-Virus and Baidu Antivirus, Only need one AV per machine. It looks like maybe you had Mcafee at one time and uninstalled it and now you have Baidu AV installed.
    Since Malwarebytes removed some items, try resetting Internet Explorer again by clicking on the reset button like you did before.

Note that the free version of Malwarebytes must be updated manually and a scan started manually. It dosnt run in the background. Its good practise to check for updates every few days even if you dont do a scan at that time.
    Hi Shelf Life:

I really appreciate your help. You have been very patient with me and also given me very concise, precise and simple to follow instructions in getting my computer back to working order.

Yes, I uninstalled McAfee Antivirus several years ago but pieces seem to pop up now and then. I left them alone as they seem to be harmless.

I have two AV programs -- Baidu and Microsoft Security Essentials. I also have Spybot Professional v 2.1.

I will carry out your instruction on updating Malwarebytes periodically.

I read a posting by one of your teammates that programs that clean up registry could do more harm than good to a computer. When I sense my computer is slowing down I go to Tools>Internet Options>Delete and delete Internet files, Cookies and History. Often, after performing this function, it speeds up my machine. In your expert opinion, is this the best way to clean up unwanted built-up in my computer?

Emeritus

Hi,

Ok, no problem. Mcafee has a tool to remove any leftovers that a add/remove uninstall might leave behind. You can get the tool from this link.

As for 2 Antivirus, thats ok as long as you dont have both running at the same time. Keep one active and use the other as a "on demand" scanner (and always check for updates first.)
    Two AV running at the same time provide the same function and will chew up system resources. Or to simplify things just uninstall one via the add/remove programs panel.
    If you unistall one AV I would make it Security Essentials, Why?:

Security Essentials is intended to provide "baseline" protection and recommended that users install an anti-virus on top of it for better security from advanced threats.
    Source.

I go to Tools>Internet Options>Delete and delete Internet files, Cookies and History.
    This is the best thing to do. I think you can set IE to do all this every time you close the browser. Registry cleaners are a bunch of hocus-pocus.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?