Thread: Does Spybot S&D 2.1 block AV boot scans of Dns Host

Default Does Spybot S&D 2.1 block AV boot scans of Dns Host

I did an Avast boot scan, log says " Failed to read DnsHosts"

I checked the log after computer re-booted. 1107/072812:WARNING:dns_config_service_win.cc(668)] Failed to read DnsHosts" . Once I pasted the boot scan log in a word doc. The log showed this repeated message for a page and a half with only the numbers/numbers changing. I do have spybot search & destroy 2.1 installed in a default configuration. Is Spybot blocking Avast boot scan or is there a problem? Not sure what to do and I don't remember seeing this message before in the boot scan log?

What edition of Spybot 2.1 do you have?

Default version

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    What edition of Spybot 2.1 do you have?
    Spybot free edition version 2.1.21.0 with start center 2.1.21.129

Avast free edition version 2014.9.0.2006

The free edition doesn't have live protection,so it wouldn't be caused by something through that,then:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/live-protection/

I'm a newer user of Avast,so I'm unsure of a lot of things with it.I couldn't find anything on whether the "Failed to read DnsHosts" is related to scanning the windows hosts file for sure or not.

I did try a boot scan with Avast last night and didn't get the same results,but I did notice just now that I must of removed Spybot's hosts file immunization at some point in time,so I'll re-immunize and try another one and see if I can get the same results as you did.

I didn't get the same results you did with this boot scan and Spybot hosts file immunization added when I tried scanning this time.
    My Avast boot scan settings are set to scan All hardisks,scan for pups,and unpack archive files,if that matches the way your Avast boot scan is set up.
    And I'm looking at aswBoot.txt report,if that matches where you are seeing the "Failed to read DnsHosts" error.

Default tried after doing somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I didn't get the same results you did with this boot scan and Spybot hosts file immunization added when I tried scanning this time.
    My Avast boot scan settings are set to scan All hardisks,scan for pups,and unpack archive files,if that matches the way your Avast boot scan is set up.
    And I'm looking at aswBoot.txt report,if that matches where you are seeing the "Failed to read DnsHosts" error.
    I believe you are correct in that this version of spybot is not the problem. Yes my avast scan is set the same as yours and I'm getting my info from the aswboot.txt. I did an update to this version of spybot about 30 days ago. I did not have time to dig into to it and let it alone. I believe that I failed to remove immunization from the old version when I installed this newer version. This may have been the reason for the "failed to read DNS Host" during the first Avast boot scan. I did an update on the new version of spybot, did the immunization with the new version, did a normal spybot scan, and did a rootkit scan. This time when I repeated the Avast boot scan things were more normal and Avast found "andora.class" to be infected.

Between the using of both programs I believe an infection or a false positive has been detected and dealt with. I have been depending on Avast to do the whole job of defending my computer for a long time but now attacks seem to be on the rise and I have started using more tools to cross check and somethings maybe having conflicts.

Good,I'm glad the "Failed to read DnsHosts" was no longer shown in your Avast boot scan.