Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: malware has removed the desktop icons

Hi OCD,

Tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, when I start up in safe mode with command prompt I get to the safe mode screen, then windows starts to load and then reboots the computer. I never get a command prompt.

I tried it the way I mentioned in my last post…quickly click the start button and run cmd in the ten seconds or so before my icons and task bar disappear. I got to the command prompt this way and tried to run chkdsk but got the message:

“Cannot lock current drive. Volume is in use by another process.”

It asked if I wanted to run chkdsk on start up, so I said yes. Doing this I was able to run chkdsk. It completed all three stages then put up some statistics on the screen. However, it rebooted so fast I was not able to read any of the stats. It rebooted into Normal Mode, leaving me with the same problem.

Also, I’ve found a friend who has a disk I can borrow if you think it will help. I believe it is labeled as a “reinstall disk, Windows XP Professional SP 2”. We did not buy our computers at the same time but both are Dell computers running XP Professional. Didn’t know if this could help or just make things worse.

fmy321

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi fmy321,

A reinstall might be the best option. It seems your current version of Windows has become corrupt. Unfortunately, with a reinstall you will lose all your currently installed programs and data.

If this is the route you would like to take let me know when you have the disks and we will go from there.
    OCD
    ----------
    Graduate of WTT Classroom
    Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

Hi OCD,

I would prefer to solve the problem without reinstalling windows, if that is possible. Is there anything else we can try?

If we cannot solve the issue, my two options for xp disks are:

A Dell disk labeled "Recovery disk, XP Professional SP 2"

or

A Microsoft disk labeled "Microsoft XP Professional, Version 2002"

Is there anything we can try before re-installing?

fmy321

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi fmy321,

Is there anything we can try before re-installing?
    You stated it you leave the computer for awhile your screensaver will kick in.

Boot up in Normal Mode and once the Start button and Task Bar disappear try hitting the F11 key. If it resolves the problem skip the next set of instructions.

I usually don't just give links to other websites that have directions for steps to try but in this instance I am. Please go here and work through the suggested solutions and see if any of these remedy the situation. Report back with your results.
    Last edited by OCD; 2013-10-18 at 06:31. Reason: added new information
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Hi OCD,

The F11 key did not do anything.

I tried the website you suggested. None of the suggestions worked. I was able to open the task manager. When I typed in "explorer.exe" I noticed that in the task manager, under the Image Name column, "explorer.exe" appeared for a few seconds. It disappeared and "rundll32.exe" appeared for a few seconds, then disappeared. Nothing else happened and I never did get a task bar.

fmy321

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi fmy321,

I'm still trying to figure out a way around this issue, but we may still need to end up re-installing the OS.

Can you give me the Make, Model of the computer?
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

It's a Dell Dimension E310

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi fmy321,

Unfortunately, I'm not coming up with much. Let's give System File Checker again and when prompted for a CD use the Microsoft XP Professional, Version 2002

• Boot once again to the Advance Boot Options menu.
    • This time select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    • Once the Command Prompt windows appears type: sfc /scannow (There's a space between sfc and /scannow.)
    • Then press Enter.
    • After the scan has finished, reboot the computer into Normal Mode

=========================

In your next post please provide the following:
    • Report back with the results.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Hi OCD,

Since I can’t boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt I accessed the command prompt by running cmd from the Task Manager. Don’t know if this is a problem (since I’m not in safe mode) but thought I should tell you how I got to the command prompt.

Once there, I ran System File Checker and used the Windows XP Professional cd. Unfortunately, it just kept telling me that I had the wrong disk. It needs XP Professional SP 2 and SP 3 disks. Once finished with the file checker I rebooted in Normal Mode, but continue to have the same problem.

fmy321

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi fmy321,

Let's see if we can get to System Restore and roll back to a date prior to the problem.

• Once again access the Command Prompt.
    • In the Command Prompt window type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter.
    • Follow the instructions to perform the System Restore

Post back the results.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE