Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SpyBot S&D seems to have damaged my XP Pro PC (Windows Search, power saving)

I forgot about this.
    Moonshot,you can ask about this in the false positives forum.
    This page gives instructions on how to report a false positive:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...alse-Positives

This is the false positives forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdispl...alse-Positives

If you don't have the info to follow the instructions where you currently aren't using Spybot,just posting a link to this post would work,too.

I am back after a period where I did not have time to look into this. I have to say I am quite annoyed that I am being redirected to a false positive forum. How the $%$#% am I expected to know that my question might be described as a false positive ? I seem to be not alone in having this problem, so why can the fix not be shown here ? I ran SpyBot in good faith, and my PC is now severely crippled due to it trashing a standard Windows function. I use that every day, or used to, when it worked. You tell me the resulkts are from SB 1.4 or so, yet when I start my current version it says clearly 1.6.2. This is getting really annoying. I am nervous about editing my registry, but will have a go, if the specific instructions can be posted here.

I just opened it again, and there is a Recovery button, under which is a Search-Explorer item, with what looks like a registry entry. I would post it here, but SB won't let me copy it. I would have to screen grab it as a jpg or something.
    Last edited by farmerbb; 2013-12-09 at 14:04.

The reason I asked if you'd post this in the false positives forum is because I'm a spybot user,just the same as you are,and from what I can see I suspect this might be a false positive.I can't decide if this is a false positive or not,somebody from Team Spybot has to.So instead of looking at my post as something to be annoyed with,try thinking of it as me telling you that you can post in the false positives forum so that it can be determined if this is a false positive.I didn't intend for it to be interpreted as "you've posted in the wrong place.",I meant it as "hey,post in this place,and it can be looked at and fixed,in whichever way is best."

I just opened it again, and there is a Recovery button, under which is a Search-Explorer item, with what looks like a registry entry. I would post it here, but SB won't let me copy it. I would have to screen grab it as a jpg or something.
    I mentioned that prior,and explained this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia
    The problem is Spybot located the number in curly brackets at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,so I can't tell if you actually had the malware or if it was a mistake.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsh...asses_root.htm So,I can't have you restore that from recovery,since you might be restoring malware.
    Hence asking you to post in the false positives forum.

You tell me the resulkts are from SB 1.4 or so, yet when I start my current version it says clearly 1.6.2. This is getting really annoying.
    Your logfile is showing Spybot 1.4:
    --- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---
    Perhaps you posted an older logfile.

I was going to run a scan on my XP to see if my search assistant was found and post it as my own false positive,but my XP had a bit of a crash and burn in the meantime,so I never got around to it.Since you are annoyed at posting in the false positives forum,I'll just go post a link to this topic in there.How's that?

I appreciate you are trying to help. But you are a fellow user. What burns me is that while this is the official forum for the company, they do not seem to care that more than one person has this problem. Do they not monitor their own fora ? With the title this one has, I would have expected to have some serious talent applied here. Not a word. I see no responses from a SpyBot employee saying "We are looking into this" or "We are aware of this, and there is a fix that we offer at site xx.yy.zz". I do software support myself, and if my software damaged the PC of a customer, I would be all over this issue, until a fix was found. And Microsoft ? I would think that if they knew some third party software damaged their OS to the point it could not be fixed by MS tools, their lawyers would be calling SpyBot.

Since I am in the middle of switching to another PC with more power, I won't bother following up your suggestions, thanks anyway. I don't have the time. This disk will be either reformatted or upgraded to Win7 and I will recommend against ever using SpyBot under XP Pro..