Thread: Microsoft: End of product support for Windows XP

Default Microsoft: End of product support for Windows XP

Microsoft: Springboard Series Blog
    On April 8, 2014, we will end the extended support for our commercial customers and we will no longer provide security updates for commercial or consumer customers.
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/s...wn-begins.aspx

The impending crisis that is Windows XP and IE 8
    http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/01/the-...indows-xp.html

Windows XP - The end of the road

Windows XP - The Elephant In The Room
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-03-05 at 18:04. Reason: Copied from post in the malware removal forum-update links
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Last edited by tashi; 2014-03-05 at 18:02. Reason: Update link
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

all good things come to an end. People have a ready made upgrade to win 7, and the more daring could go to Win 8

Exclamation THIS IS YET *ANOTHER* example of everything wrong with Microsoft.

THIS IS YET *ANOTHER* example of everything wrong with Microsoft.
    Their only "Talking Points" are *FUD*--"Fragmentation"-Inability to Update (um, you build a good product, the update comes in the Revision pack, NOT MONTHLY!!!)

you do realize MSFT is *SO CLUELESS ON HOW TO COMPETE AGAINST ANDROID--THEY *SUED* GOOGLE/ANDROIE AS "ANTI-COMPETITIVE" IN THE EU.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME----UM, ANROID IS *THE DEFINITION* OF OPEN SOURCE---CONCEPT THAT MSFT CANNOT "GRASP"

The claim? Because Android is free, it creates uncompetitive pricing in the mobile market......
    http://readwrite.com/2013/04/09/micr...on4cD0DZn5O9Zp

Windows 8-what fixed the "Vista a.k.a. Win 7" Windows 8-is slipping Market Share.
    October=Win 8=8.02%, November=7.53% Share .
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...11&qpcustomb=0

Largest Drop of XP-5% when the *FUD* campaign started (IE-this thread)

MSFT has *NOTHING* as a fall back to catch them.
    Webserver (non-existent), WinPhone-Non-Existent-, Tablet-Non-Existent, Don't even own the Gaming console Market. (tied WITH THE UNIX OS) NO Embeded Shart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems
    Of course *INCLUDING* the 30%+ of WinXP, MSFT has 90% share of Desktop

YET-Desktops in ABSOLUTE FREE FALL- TRANSITIONING TO IpAD
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...14973888155516

PC sales double digit drops Quarter after Quarter
    http://bgr.com/2013/07/16/pc-sales-q2-2013-decline/
    *CLEARLY* that's where the 5% went. It *COST* MSFT the desktop as I'm sure the "Soccer Moms" that lived the iPhone, bought the *FUD*, said "Love my Iphone, will get an IPAD

-----------AS A SIDE BAR. YOU DO REALIZE THE IPAD DOES NOT EVEN COME WITH A MANUAL--THERE IS NO "JUNK" TO READ TO SET IT UP--INTUATIVE OUT THE BOX. A 5-YEAR OLD CAN LEARN IN 4-MINUTES.

Android has a market share of 81%--just shy of *ONE BILLION*--ONE BILLION 100,000,000,000--Market Share. 250,000,000 Activations a QUARTER. --Keep reading as to why that's IMportaant (Desktop will be a Dinosaur in 10-years or less.

WinXP the 1% drops are *NOT* providing uplift to other OS, like Cord Cutting, probably those going Tablet Only.

From December 2012-October 2013-Win 7 grew LESS THAN 1%
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

1st-Microsoft is in the middle of a Dead Cat Bounce. Soon the idea of a "Desktop" ("soon" relative-say a "generation"10+ years). will be obsolete.
    Think of all you do *NOW* that's in the cloud.

2nd Dropbox, et.al already pushing the business sector as a "Team Collaboration tool". *Installed Software* will eventually go the way of the Dinosaur.
    (bet this keeps SharePoint team awake at night).

3rd *OBVIOUSLY* the Developer Base will need Desktop Solutions (However Most "Enterprise" quality) Deveop on Linux anyway
    ---it's not an accident that DESPITE MSFT largest Minority holder in Facebook, Facebook deployed on *OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY*--MYSQL--WHY?
    1-Access to Code Base. 2-MASSIVE following constantly updating freeware (their needs, sharing with others). SQL Server could *NEVER* handle the "rumored:" 1-TRILLION transactions MYSQL Handling in any given week.

4th--THE INSANE IDEA, of having to PATCH software (MONTHLY NO LESS), will be non- existent. Again, cloud provider can silently push out those without the need of human interaction, MSFT has failed to acknowledge this 10th Grade Knowledge Concept.

5th-XP Pro is only Dropping 1% a month, assuming that declines in like process, as of this writing we are 5-months away, 5-points still keeps us in the High-Mid 30%.

5a-The "civilian" (non-techie user), is fed up with MSFT lack of quality. Why should they upgrade will be the Mantra. (Precisely why VISTA needed a "roll back" solution)
    Watching

5b-Win.X (36) and Windows Phone have dropped/isolated/infuriated developers to the point MSFT has to *BRIBE* (the $200 bounty)-WinPhone Charlie Kindel MADE SURE he ticked off any app developers. HECK, just to get STARTED in the App Dev (Thaks Charlie) first saying APPS would not be a MSFT model

---again, the closed Architecture ensures Developers won't Develop yet on a 3rd platform (especially since there's only about 3-people in the universe that own a WinPhone, can't sustain a market place.

---Patent Trolling BY FAR outpaces WinPhone organic revenue.
    Reason I brought up WinPhone. Like any road map of upgrading, people will want to stick with what they know--80% of the Market Android/-port to Chromium OS (when it's ready for "Golden"-release.

The Idea of "Patches"/"Vulnerability Fixes", etc.etc. will be non-existent.

6-"Kids" (Millennial--->) already use to the concept of the ability (in AMAZING FASHION) BLAST TYPE-text/email on a tiny phone. With a "Pad", will be just like the days when Laptops could be "DOCKED" to use a "real monitor" and "real keyboard" (not that cheap nonsense of Win/Tablets

7th-Again, just like a cell phone, users have been trained to wait for a "PUSH OTA" Update. They might grumble ,not soon enough, However, there are 2-bases. iPhone with Soccer Moms who have "no clue", the 80% Android consumes "Hard Core Geeks" to the "Geek Wanna Be" to the "Anything but MSFT" crowd.

8th-Due to Cloud based-the need for Desktop Support (ERP-type/on-site will be non-existent). Because of "APP" based infrastructure, a click of an APP, will diagnose and repair within Minutes.

8a-"IT Business Managers" with QUICKLY embrace the Idea of Cloud/Team Collaboration via the Cloud as the "Stack" will consist of an SVN--"Revisioning" type Protocol. BM's will LOVE this, as they will easily monitor Scope/Feature creep.(Dashboard Based). -AGAIN, acceds via cloud. Home/Work/Vacation(that no longer exits-people still work)

9th-Steve Ballmer single handedly killed MSFT the last decade. Will take another Decade (or more to replace good will--essentially won't happen--MSFT works on a MID-20th century Midset-*EVERY SINGLE* Ballmer touched with Rollout BLEW UP like a Nuclear Bomb.

So, above bullet points to prove that those who have not upgraded, will not upgrade.
    Virtualization will take care of the Enterprise XP Problem-again using Cloud, CIO can lock-down any Virii in Minutes by locking down the Virtualization Boxes, repair counted in Minutes pushing out a working image fix.

As for Consumers, VMware, et.al step in with "thin app"/"sandbox" solutions and the idea of a "Patch" will be unnecessary.

Clearly ,MSFT has more COH than G-d. No telling how long they could survive without selling a single product. HOWEVER, MSFT will "HAVE TO" be broken up. (Decided by MSFT).

MSFT OFFICE is the only CASH COW/KING They drive the bus. All other divisions will have to be spun out to eliminate the conflicting agendas due to "Political Wrangling" inhouse with MSFT.

This will take time/be a painful process/thus allowing MORE opportunity for competition.

Pardon, I forget the name of the Software Practice (it's part of Agile), but the buddy system of Code Development (ex-one Coder, with another human sitting beside stratagizing/with coder--has *CLOUD* written all over it.

The Net Sum to all this is, nobody cares/motivated to update as is proof that desktop becoming more irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereIsMyMindAt View Post

-----------AS A SIDE BAR. YOU DO REALIZE THE IPAD DOES NOT EVEN COME WITH A MANUAL--THERE IS NO "JUNK" TO READ TO SET IT UP--INTUATIVE OUT THE BOX. A 5-YEAR OLD CAN LEARN IN 4-MINUTES.
    The Net Sum to all this is, nobody cares/motivated to update as is proof that desktop becoming more irrelevant.
    Quite a rant.

I concur with the first statement quoted, ever since Star Trek : Next Generation and Wesley Crusher, with his ever present padd, the simpletons have wanted the same and have got it now, a no-training needed interface.

Yet I disagree with the latter as there are a dedicated core out there, like myself, that delight in "rolling-their-own" both gamers and those needing to get real work done or as an extension to the Home Theatre experience. Since a HTPC can be more flexible and offer better storage options than set-top box DVRs. In other forums I've joined threads of Win7 users who will not go to 8 or higher if M$ doesn't go back to a true desktop. In other forums I've ditto'd comments about not wanting to haul a laptop/notebook or pad around with me all day, and yet I diverge because wearable technology, like Samsung's smart watch [and I'm waiting for competition to Google glasses] since it means not having to lug one or more sacks on my back, is an approach I like, especially for my work in Security.
    XP SP3 nLited (HTPCs), Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 workstation, Linux user various distros.