Thread: Install error: "Unable to execute..." SDWSCSvc.exe

Default Install error: "Unable to execute..." SDWSCSvc.exe

Hi,

I've been using Spybot 2.1, and have uninstalled it to upgrade to 2.2. When I install 2.2 and reboot, I see this:

Unable to execute file:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot\SDWSCSvc.exe
    CreateProcess failed; code 2.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Have any idea what's wrong? I'm using Windows 7. I'm also using Avast Antivirus. I've tried disabling it during the SB install, but it doesn't help. Thanks!

Is that what your Spybot folder is called?Mine is called Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.Did you have the Spybot 1.6.2 version installed before?
    You could go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot and see if the SDWSCSvc.exe is really missing.

If you think there's a chance there might have been a false positive and Avast may have removed the file,you can check to see if it's in Avast's quarantine.Open Avast,click Scan,then click quarantine down at the bottom of the page and see if it is there.

Hi

I have the exact same problem as ander except it does the same thing with 2.1 and 2.2

This is my first installation of Spybot. I can't find anything about this problem except for this tread.

I also use Windows 7, I have kaspersky that I tried to turn off, I tried Rkill and I tried safe mode, nothing works.

Thank you

That error might mean that your SDWSCSvc.exe file is missing.Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot and check to be sure the file isn't in there.(Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot if your version of windows is 32-bit.)
    Which version of Spybot do you have installed now,Spybot 2.1 or Spybot 2.2?
    If the file is missing from your Spybot folder,it might be possible to try installing Spybot over the top of your current one so that the file is replaced.

Default It's a bug

If you untick the integration of windows security center during installation, the error message gonna show up, and of course SDWSCSvc.exe won't appear in the installation folder because you just choose not to install it.

I don;t want to rush any one, after all it only has been about 4 years , but this bug is still present.

https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?74682

I am running Windows 7 Pro and I get the message:
    live protection failed.jpg

Seems the file is not digitally signed so Windows refuses to run it. I have even tried manually executing it and the same message comes up. Without that file running, Live Protection won't install which is what I paid the subscription for. If I can't install Live Protection, I want a refund since I may as well run the free version.

You could ask for help from Spybot support here:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

Default Still the same error

It is now late April 2019 and the issue persists. If you uncheck system integration during installation the very same error appears. When you then try to start a system scan there is an error message Important files are missing! Will Safer-Networking not let you install this software without system integration?

I think I checked that this worked at the time, though I'm not 100% certain, as it was from 2017 after all. But I believe a workaround for that is you can install Spybot with the integration of windows security center checkmarked during installation, then after it's all installed and updated and such, you can then uninstall the security center service. I posted instructions for that here:

https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post476582

I had thought that this was fixed a couple of versions ago, but I must have been mistaken on that. If you'd like to contact Team Spybot about it, you could do that. Their contact page says under customer support about using the support page if something is broken and you want to report it to them, so I'd assume using the contact page to report this should be all cool and stuff:

https://www.safer-networking.org/contact/

You'd use this page to contact them:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform