Thread: problems after i uninstalled spybot 1.6.2

Post problems after i uninstalled spybot 1.6.2

Hi i installed spybot 1.6.2 due to problems with Spybot SD 2.0 not updating at all,and when i tried to immunize my browsers it only immunized internet explorer,but it did not recognise nor immunize chrome.Two people are sharing one pc i only like to use chrome my brother prefers to use I.E 10. i uninstalled version 2.0 successfully.So why does 1.6.2 still appear on my taskbar and i can run it from the taskbar or start menu folder(it does not work at all though no update.immunize nor rootkit test)also its left behind a lot of stuff on my C drive in it's own folder..This i can't understand as i uninstalled it with Iobit uninstaller,and run that apps powerful scan for any left over folder and registry entries,and it doesn't show up to uninstall with either Iobit or clicking control panel and trying to use windows own uninstaller..so do Safer Networking have a dedicated uninstaller for Spybot if not how can i completely remove all of this program..Thank you VM! for any help or advice with regards to this problem Sorry this post is in the wrong place,and i cant delete it to redo the post in SPYBOT unless Admin can move it thanks
    Last edited by adrian631330; 2013-11-05 at 13:30.

The last word I saw posted on these forums some time ago about Chrome and immunization were that there is no mechanism to immunize it.There was a mention that it is possible it could be immunized via plug-in at a later date in a different,later Spybot version,though what I was reading was from quite awhile back,so I'm unsure if that still stands.

No,Spybot doesn't have it's own separate uninstaller to use that I'm aware of.
    There is an option to uninstall Spybot 1.6.2 located in your start menu.You could try that.It may not work where it isn't appearing in your control panel to uninstall,but it's worth a try.

Otherwise,please see here on how to remove it manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-uninstall/
    On a side note,if you don't see the Spybot folder in Program Files,and you have Windows 7 or 8,usually those version of windows are 64-bit so you may find the Spybot folder in C:\Program Files(x86),instead.
    Since you also uninstalled Spybot 2 you can look and see if there is a Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 folder as well and remove it too,if you prefer.
    also its left behind a lot of stuff on my C drive in it's own folder.
    Or,if your Spybot-Search&Destroy folder is located at C:\ instead of C:\Program Files,you can remove it from there,just adjust the path accordingly.
    (Also,if you used Teatimer,you might want to rightclick the icon down beside your clock and close it before attempting to uninstall or removing anything,just so things go smoothly.)

There's a newer version of Spybot 2 now,Spybot 2.2,you could give that a try sometime if you'd like.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
    If you did decide to give the newer Spybot a try and you still had problems updating then you could have a look at this page and see if it applies:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...e-info-file-2/
    Or Spybot 1.6.2 is also available at the bottom of the download page,if you would prefer to give that one another try,instead of Spybot 2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    The last word I saw posted on these forums some time ago about Chrome and immunization were that there is no mechanism to immunize it.There was a mention that it is possible it could be immunized via plug-in at a later date in a different,later Spybot version,though what I was reading was from quite awhile back,so I'm unsure if that still stands.

No,Spybot doesn't have it's own separate uninstaller to use that I'm aware of.
    There is an option to uninstall Spybot 1.6.2 located in your start menu.You could try that.It may not work where it isn't appearing in your control panel to uninstall,but it's worth a try.

Otherwise,please see here on how to remove it manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-uninstall/
    On a side note,if you don't see the Spybot folder in Program Files,and you have Windows 7 or 8,usually those version of windows are 64-bit so you may find the Spybot folder in C:\Program Files(x86),instead.
    Since you also uninstalled Spybot 2 you can look and see if there is a Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 folder as well and remove it too,if you prefer.

Or,if your Spybot-Search&Destroy folder is located at C:\ instead of C:\Program Files,you can remove it from there,just adjust the path accordingly.
    (Also,if you used Teatimer,you might want to rightclick the icon down beside your clock and close it before attempting to uninstall or removing anything,just so things go smoothly.)

There's a newer version of Spybot 2 now,Spybot 2.2,you could give that a try sometime if you'd like.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
    If you did decide to give the newer Spybot a try and you still had problems updating then you could have a look at this page and see if it applies:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...e-info-file-2/
    Or Spybot 1.6.2 is also available at the bottom of the download page,if you would prefer to give that one another try,instead of Spybot 2.2.
    Thanks zenobia i will try all you stated above,but one thing on my own Pc(no other users)using spybot 2.0 it does immunize explorer(which i dont use)yet it also immunizes chrome..would you recommend i install the newer versions on the 2 PC'S i use though which would you recommend 2.1 or 2.2?? op Sys windows home premium 6.1.7601 Build 7601 x64-Based PC.intel(R) Core(TM) i3 cpu M370 @ 2.40Ghz, 2399 Mhz, 2 Cores(s), 4 Logic..thanks again for any help and advice

Oh,Chrome is immunized on your own PC?I don't actually have it installed myself,so I just go by what I see people post on here.Thanks for letting me know.
    which would you recommend 2.1 or 2.2?
    Spybot 2.2 was released mainly for people who use Windows 8.1,and there aren't many changes between that and Spybot 2.1,actually,so it wasn't necessary for users of Spybot 2.1 to update:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/2013...t-windows-8-1/
    But,since you don't have Spybot 2.1 installed on the two computers already,you might as well go with Spybot 2.2 to start off with,I think that would be easiest.