Thread: Spybot Resident conflict w/ Cisco anyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.03103 Win8.1

Question Spybot Resident conflict w/ Cisco anyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.03103 Win8.1

The latest version of Spybot seems to conflict with Cisco anyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.03103 on Windows 8.1.

I cannot connect to VPN unless I exit Spybot from the right corner of the taskbar. Then delete my hosts file. Then VPN works again.

I found that solution on http://superuser.com/questions/63059...service-is-not

I like Spybot and its immunizations feature. Can this be addressed?

Which edition of Spybot 2.1/2.2 do you have?
    Does Cisco anyConnect Secure Mobility Client create a hosts.ac file on your computer?

I'm not at all sure about it,but I was wondering if perhaps it has something to do with when you immunize the hosts file with Spybot and the hosts.ac file reacting in some way.
    I read this online:
    http://www.girlgeekette.net/2012/04/...ywhereconnect/
    When you immunize your hosts file,Spybot makes a backup of your hosts file,then I believe a new hosts file is created,with the addition of Spybot's host file entries added to it.I think Spybot also makes the hosts file read-only after immunizing.
    Perhaps that is stopping Cisco anyConnect from rewriting the hosts file,if it does work as it says in the link I posted to.

If that is what's happening,the Spybot programmers would have to fix it or make changes,I can't.
    But if you wanted to use the rest of Spybot's immunization without having your hosts file immunized,you could do it this way:
    Open Spybot-S&D Start Center,rightclick Immunization and run as administrator.Click Check system.Once that's done,click Show Details.Scroll down to the bottom of the immunization window,and look at Global Hosts.

a.If it's showing your hosts file as immunized,rightclick somewhere in the window and select deselect all,then checkmark only Global Hosts and click Undo.Once the immunization is undone,rightclick again and select Select All.Then rightclick Global Hosts and select Ignore selected item in the future.

Or b.If Global Hosts is showing as unimmunized,rightclick Global Hosts and select Ignore selected item in the future.

If you wanted the hosts file off the ignore list at a later date,you can rightclick the same immunization window as above,and remove Global Hosts from the Ignore list.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2013-11-11 at 21:45.