Thread: Spybot won't launch

Default Spybot won't launch

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Recently Spybot has been finding some malware on my computer which it was unable to remove, as it said the virus was in use. I did some research and some people suggested I should run Spybot as admin, however now spybot is having difficulty launching at all, most of the time that I click the spybot icon, nothing happens. I am trying to launch it right now but and this time a window has opened but it's 'not responding'. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling spybot and everything else seems to be working fine, I'm worried this could be the malware?

Also after uninstalling spybot the icon is still there, alongside a new fancy icon for the new spybot, why is that?

Any help is much appreciated thanks!

I've now managed to launch Spybot 2.2 in admin mode, after scanning it said it had found 1 result, but the result wouldn't show up in the scan results page so I couldn't fix it

Just as an extra doublecheck to be sure that Spybot was updated when you installed,could you rightclick the Spybot icon down by your clock,then select Update,if the update window opens successfully,click the update button at the top.Once that's all done,close the window.

Next,you could try starting your computer in safe mode,to see if it's easier to get Spybot to launch,and then try the system scan again:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...-in-safe-mode/
    If that works out well,after the scanning and fixing is done,you could post the Checks logfile here to see what is being found.To do that,over to the left click Show previous logs,open the checks logfile from the scan(It will have today's date at the end of it,for example:Checks.131115-1940.txt),go to Edit,select all,then rightclick and copy,then paste the logfile here.

The older Spybot icon staying on your computer probably either means the icon for it was accidentally left behind somehow,or perhaps Spybot did not uninstall correctly.But it might be best to put that on the backburner for now,and deal with it a bit later.