Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

Emeritus-Security Expert

Not sure if I am following you, just go here and run the free online virus scanner

http://eset.com/onlinescan
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Default ESET found not threats...

and therefore didn't produce a log file.

Does this mean that the machine is clean or should I still be suspect? I don't have the original disks for the PC or for the installed software. However, I did contact the manufacturers and should be receiving the recovery disks to restore the machine to its original factory condition as well as replacement disks for the installed software. Do you think its necessary to do a complete wipeout and rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by ken545 View Post
    Not sure if I am following you, just go here and run the free online virus scanner

http://eset.com/onlinescan

Emeritus-Security Expert

I think your fine, but to restore your PC back to factory defaults is a great way of quarantining that its 100% clean. Do you need any help in that area ?

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Smile Might need assistance with restoring the PC

I'll have a better idea if I can do it on my own once I get the system recovery disks and instructions. From what I understand, I'll have the following three options:

• System Recovery: This option reformats the system drive (usually "C:"), reinstalls the original operating system, and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. System Recovery does not impact user created partitions. If there are two hard drives, System Recovery modifies only the drive with the operating system.
    • The Factory Reset option returns all of the notebook's software to the condition it was in at the time of purchase. All user changes or additions are removed.
    • Minimized Image Recovery: Available on many of HP's notebook computers, the Minimized Image Recovery removes all partitions, reformats the entire hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system and hardware drivers, and reinstalls HP essential software (such as HP Support Assistant and HP Recovery Manager). Minimized Image Recovery does not reinstall the trial applications and games.

I'm leaning toward the Minimized option so I don't have to contend with all of the bloatware that comes bundled on these machines. I'm guessing that is something is missing that I'll be able to add it later form the disks they send.

I'll be back in touch once I get the disks.

In the meantime, thank you very much for your assistance! Have a great night!

Quote Originally Posted by ken545 View Post
    I think your fine, but to restore your PC back to factory defaults is a great way of quarantining that its 100% clean. Do you need any help in that area ?

Emeritus-Security Expert

Either choice looks fine. The threads are closed in 3 or 4 days so when you come back if its closed just send me a PM and i will reopen it.

• Click START then RUN
    • Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

Malwarebytes is the free version and yours to keep and will not be removed

Safe Surfn
    Ken

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue