Thread: Spybot 2.2 scanning too quickly?

Default Spybot 2.2 scanning too quickly?

I'm running as administrator and it finishes searching between 8 and 30 seconds and finds nothing. I can't find any settings to change it to a full scan if that's not default.

Try opening Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,open Settings,if prompted by UAC click Yes,then click the categories tab.
    Do you see a bunch of things listed there,and do they have checkmarks beside them all?

I only have Cookies.sbi under Malware Detection.

Okay,could you go to Update in Spybot,click Update,wait until Spybot is done testing the updates,then click the Update button you see at the top?That should set things right.

Default 134MB download and not even working...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Okay,could you go to Update in Spybot,click Update,wait until Spybot is done testing the updates,then click the Update button you see at the top?That should set things right.
    You know there's probably 2 million people who think spybot works who aren't computer savy. This update crap is a misrepresentation of the purpose of this software. You download a program to work as advertised otherwise call this thing "Cookie Bot - Doesnt search crap until you update it (and have taken computer literacy coarses in college)".

During the installation of Spybot 2.1/2.2,the installation will ask somewhere along the line how you want to install and use Spybot.I believe if you chose "I want to be protected without having to attend to it myself",a task is scheduled in task scheduler to check for updates by default,amongst other things.I'm not sure of the frequency,but people would get the updates that way eventually.

There is also "No update attempt registered" displayed at the top of the Spybot startup screen,if no updates were downloaded.You can click on it to get to the update section.

There is a tutorial on the website which covers needing to update:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/supp...teps-tutorial/

There's also a section on how to update:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-update-2/

Hi Zenobia,

thank you for clarifying the update issue.
    There is also "No update attempt registered" displayed at the top of the Spybot startup screen,if no updates were downloaded.
    You are right. However, scheduled tasks are only available in Home and Professional Edition.

There will be a change in 2.3 for the first update: the System Scan will display that the detection rules were not updated yet. Thus users will probably be more aware of this.
    (m/f)

Somebody on the forums said they had a scheduled update with the free edition,so I installed it on my other computer,and the task was created.
    (I feel a little funny telling that to a Spybot person,you probably programmed half of Spybot,he!)
    That was Spybot 2.0 though,so a couple editons back.