Thread: spybot won't remove Adviva or DoubleClick

Default spybot won't remove Adviva or DoubleClick

I've always found Spybot to be good but lately I find it will not remove Adviva or DoubleClick, even though it says it has "fixed" the two problems. I'm using Firefox and Vista Home.

So what do I do?

Try rightclicking the Spybot icon on your desktop and selecting Run as Administrator before running a scan to see if that will clear the two cookies.
    Also,these cookies might return between Spybot scans.Blocking third-party cookies might help some to keep them from coming back,if that is an option you'd consider.

No, this has to be a Spybot problem.

Even when I'm off-line, if I do a Spybot run, it highlights Adviva and DoubleClick, it "removes" them and says two problems fixed. If I immediately do another Spybot scan, it comes up with the same two problems. As these two problems are not coming across the Internet, either they're self-generating on my computer (unlikely!), or Spybot just isn't removing them and is only pretending to say it's fixed the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoboy View Post
    Even when I'm off-line, if I do a Spybot run, it highlights Adviva and DoubleClick, it "removes" them and says two problems fixed. If I immediately do another Spybot scan, it comes up with the same two problems. As these two problems are not coming across the Internet, either they're self-generating on my computer (unlikely!), or Spybot just isn't removing them and is only pretending to say it's fixed the problems.
    I was aware that it's quite likely this is what is happening.That is why I posted this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia
    Try rightclicking the Spybot icon on your desktop and selecting Run as Administrator before running a scan to see if that will clear the two cookies
    If you haven't previously tried running as administrator before doing a scan,then if you try that,it may help for the two problems to be removed.I was offering it as a possible solution.

I said this:
    Also,these cookies might return between Spybot scans.Blocking third-party cookies might help some to keep them from coming back,if that is an option you'd consider.
    as another possible solution,if the first thing I posted was not what was happening in your case.

It makes no difference if I run Spybot as administrator (right click on icon, choose "run as administrator"), or just normally (left click on icon), the Adviva and DoubleClick entries still appear there on the immediate second scan when I'm off-line. So clearly Spybot is not removing them, even those it says it has, unless they're instantly self-generating.

I've chosen the Firefox setting of not accepting cookies, but that doesn't help when they're already there, as these two are--I assume they're some sort of cookie.

Yes,adviva and doubleclick are cookies.

Since the cookies aren't being removed when you scan with Spybot,you can try removing the cookies manually in Firefox.This page has instructions on how to remove individual cookies in Firefox:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-a-single-site

If you find you have trouble with the not accepting cookies setting in Firefox when going to different sites,you could try the disable third-party cookies option,if you prefer.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-party-cookies