Thread: Why is AS+AV off?

Default Why is AS+AV off?

Hi I recently purchased the home user edition of Spyboy+AV. My computer is running slower than normal and I believe its due to me not setting up a whitelist. However I do not wish to do this because something fishy is going on, my updates are current and while scanning for both malware and rootkits, nothing is found, The true problem is that when hovering my mouse over the quick start icon on the taskbar Spybot states that AS+AV is turned off? Spybot nowfails to download antivirus update, although it does quite fine downloading the anti spybot updates. Can you help.

The computer that I have the Spybot +av on decided it would be fun for my mouse to quit working with a crashing program screen smackdab in the middle of the screen that I can't get rid of,so seeing anything to do with the antivirus part of things was haphazard and squinty at best. I'll try to get into it tomorrow and see what might be up.
    As for the antispyware part being off when you look at the Spybot icon,I was able to get that to show as off by turning off some services.So,could you open up Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark advanced mode,click Settings,then select the System Services tab.Is either the Security Center Service or the File Scanner service showing Start or Install on the button?

Thats also the weirdest thing... All the services appear to be running, "Security center service: running, Scanner service: running, Updating service: running". Are there additional services that should be running that are not showing up in the "system services" tab? Also note that when in Windows task manager, under the services tab SDWSCService PID 11488, is running. SDUpdateService PID 4316, is running and also SDScannerService PID 4940 is running. I just dont understand why its still saying that AS+AV is off. Another anomaly is under the settings, Schedule tab, it states that the last time I ran a scan is"unknown" meanwhile I ran a scan just yesterday (multiple times in fact, also in Safe mode and Protected environment). Is it possible that its not really scanning? Maybe just like a show for the user?

P.S. was able to download the current AV update but only through safe mode with networking.

The schedule tab wouldn't show when you've done a manual scan,I don't believe,it would show anything to do with the scheduled scan.The Spybot scan is usually scheduled to run at the first of the month on mine,I think that is the default time,unless you change it.

Only being able to download the av update through safe mode with networking might indicate something on your computer may be preventing the downloads,since when you run in safe mode it stops most programs from running at startup.Do you have any other security software installed on your computer?