Thread: System Scan in ver 2.2 Free copy

Default System Scan in ver 2.2 Free copy

Hi,
    My system is WIN XP SP3 and I have installed Spybot 2.2, free package. I believe I have finished the general setup selections and I have aquestion about the System Scan feature.
    I click on the System Scan and the window opens; across the top says "System Scan (Spybot – Search & Destroy 2.2, administrative privileges). Why the "administrative privileges"? Do not remember any setup selections about administrative privileges, but my sign on account is an administrive account.
    What I really do not understand is the sentence in the right hand pane, under the "Last system scan" saying "the scan will not include extended antivirus checks". According to the Free version specifications "scans for anfd fixes malware and rootkits" The system scan takes about 20 seconds and appears to be looking at only the IE and Firefox browser files. Is there some setting I am missing?

krazykat
    Attached Images Attached Images

On Vista and higher,to run Spybot with administrator privileges,you need to rightclick and run as administrator.On an administrator account in XP,you already have the administrator priviledges,so Spybot shows that at the top.

In the Home,Professional,etc. editions,there is antivirus included,but the free edition doesn't include that:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/private/compare/
    But the free Spybot still searches for spyware/malware and rootkits,you can have a look at the chart,it is just the antivirus updates that aren't included.

The system scan takes about 20 seconds and appears to be looking at only the IE and Firefox browser files. Is there some setting I am missing?
    Please open Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark Advanced Mode,then click Update,and after the test runs and is done,click the Update button at the top.That should download the updates you need,so your Spybot scan will take longer than 20 seconds.