Thread: HHCTRL recurring alert in Windows Application Log

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HHCTRL recurring alert in Windows Application Log

I have been using Spybot1.62 for some time and have just upgraded it to Spybot 2.2.21.0 (free version to try it out)

Following the upgrade my application log (on two machines where it is installed) has started to have entries relating to HHCTRL :-

The description for Event ID 1903 from source HHCTRL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45839

This occurs every 5 minutes.

After a lot of searching I found a scheduled task for Spybot updates which runs every 5 minutes. Disabling this task stops the application log entries from occurring. Both machines are Windows 7.

According to the Microsoft site this error relates to a vulnerability that was fixed in Windows XP.

I have no experience of this new version - is this something that is expected to happen or is there an issue?

Thank you,

Arthur.

P.S. I run Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Spybot and none of them are reporting any vulnerabilities.
    Last edited by arthur1963; 2013-12-11 at 13:40.