Thread: "searchfind" virus locked firefox on windows XP; "Add/Remove" won't uninstall

Angry "searchfind" virus locked firefox on windows XP; "Add/Remove" won't uninstall

During one of many downloads from the web, the appearance of mozilla/firefox was changed.
    The new opening page did not resemble firefox in any way. I lost the firefox toolbar. There was no access
    to the "help" or "tools" tabs on the firefox opening page. I downloaded chrome, and checked internet explorer, both of which started with a normal home page. I went to the control panel and tried the "add/remove" feature which works for managing most applications. What it did with firefox was provide a link to support.mozilla.org which had no help for this virus. My current version of SpyBot search and destroy seems not detect or eliminate this virus.
    Last edited by tashi; 2013-12-11 at 17:19. Reason: Moved from Requests for additions to Spybot's detections

Hello jkohler2,

Quote Originally Posted by jkohler2 View Post
    During one of many downloads from the web, the appearance of mozilla/firefox was changed..
    Some of these annoyances are installed as a bundle with another download when a custom install isn't used and the pre-checked box giving permission to install remains.

For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS and aswMBR logs, which are used in the preliminary analysis.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016