Thread: Removal of win32.downloader.gen

Default Removal of win32.downloader.gen

I have run SpyBot many times as administrator by right clicking both the desk top short cut and right clicking the program drop down in the start menu then run as administrator. The malware win32.downlowder.gen comes up and SpyBot is run upon restart. The malware is not removed. Clicking on the malware states that it is can't be removed because it is being used by another program, but it doesn't tell the program . Please,how may it be removed?
    Thanks

Default My experience with win32.downloader.gen

I'm sure someone from Spybot ( safer networking) will answer this question for you but in the meantime.....

My Pc with Windows7 had win32.downloader.gen for months and despite much reading on the topic and being fairly technical, I was unable to remove it as well. Running Spybot as admin did nothing for me either.

Then I read somewhere that tech support here had suggested running Spybot in Safemode and VOILA!!!! It worked.

There was some cleanup to do after removal as I had this thing for months and it had permanently hijacked internet explorer and left multiple registry errors ( BackgroundContainer.dll) but another post had instructions for how to fix all of this as well.

I hope you have good luck with removing this very soon. It's very frustrating and gets worse the longer you have it.

Don't give up. Spybot is the best piece of software out there for this kind of thing. I've been using it for many years on my own and other people's computers and it is a lifesaver. I've donated in the past but I've never been so happy to donate to a software company as I was the day I finally got rid of that cursed Trojan ! bananas.gif

I think the folks here are the best ones to help you with this but feel free to send me a note here if you need help.

Best of luck to you,
    Lucy