Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suspected Malware Revised

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi NoobNeedsHelp,

The Java download is not a problem.

Thanks for providing the screenshot. The information provided indicates that any files needed for the Refresh should be contained in the Recovery Partition on your hard drive.

If you are ready to do the Refresh, let me know and I will provide instructions in my next reply.
    OCD
    ----------
    Graduate of WTT Classroom
    Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

Yeah, I'm ready to do a refresh, but have a question. You say any files needed SHOULD be contained in that recovery partition, but just theoretically what happens if for some reason they aren't? It didn't sound absolute enough to give me confidence, is all.

Thanks for your help and time.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi NoobNeedsHelp,

I understand your hesitation. Generally speaking, computers contain a Recovery Partition instead of the computer's manufacturer providing installation disks in the event a user has to reinstall the operating system.

Is it possible for you to borrow a Windows 8 installation disks from a friend to have on hand as added peace of mind? You don't need disks specific to your machine, just the version that was originally installed on your machine. The label with the product key is what differentiates each licensed copy of Windows.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi NoobNeedsHelp,

Just checking in to see if you still need help?
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Ah, very sorry, hectic as lately. Everyone I know is using old Windows's (lolsp?) and I have nobody I can borrow Windows 8 disks off. Would it make any difference to update to Windows 8.1? Forgive me if it's a stupid question. Lately the PC is very slow to open browser windows, it's slower than ever on startup and all that's changed recently was that Java update.

Is it possible to get the product key matching this copy from somewhere else, like if the PC was registered with the Windows site?

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi NoobNeedsHelp,

Would it make any difference to update to Windows 8.1?
    I don't know if installing 8.1 will correct the "CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION" error message you were receiving.

Is it possible to get the product key matching this copy from somewhere else, like if the PC was registered with the Windows site?
    The product key for your copy of windows should be on that sticker I refered to earlier on the bottom or back of the computer.

Let's try this and see if it helps remedy the "CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION".

Go here and scroll down to Option 1 and follow the steps outlined in the tutorial.

After you have finished, reboot and see if you still get the error message. Report back the results. (there will be no log generated).
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi NoobNeedsHelp,

Just checking in to see if you still need help?
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Sorry, things have been so hectic, I saw the reply a few days ago but didn't have time to do the check, will do it now. I don't know what error message you're referring to.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi NoobNeedsHelp,

In post # 4 you stated:

"I ran OTL.exe, and it scanned for a fair while, then it opened a windows cmnd.exe window, closed it, then the screen went blue and it said stuff including "PC had to restart, CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION, gathering info" --- I think it had been scanning folder structure at that point --- and then it restarted. It seemed to hang for a bit, not doing anything, which it also did when I first turned the laptop on today as well. I had to restart it this morning too."

Are you still receiving the CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION error
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Oh, thanks for clarifying. No, that error only happened with the first OTL scan, not with the second OTL scan you got me to do in safe mode. That was the first (and so far the last) time I've seen that specific error.

I did the ChkDsk you asked me to and it said no errors, so I scanned anyway and it said no errors found.

About the windows sticker, I take it the 15 digit alphanumerical code is the windows key?

Thanks very much for all your help, I appreciate it.