Thread: Help again...Same issue, new hard drive.

Default Help again...Same issue, new hard drive.

Ok. well after going thru about 5 format and reloads, 2X a 0 writing program, scrapping the old one and purchasing a NEW hard drive. I am now going thru the same exact issue as before. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to permanently get rid of these tracks and prevent them from entering my computer?

They may be harmless, but I don't like or want them on my computer. Spybot says it gets rid of them but when doing a rescan, they appear again. I cannot afford to keep buying hard drives. Someone please help!

I have attached the log.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I have tried everything I know to do. Combofix, OTL, Rogue Killer, TDSS, you name it.. now time for someone else...I am at my wits end!

Regards,

C-Scan Results.140124-0316.txt

When you do run a Spybot scan,you should run Spybot as administrator,just to be sure the tracks are being cleared each time.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...indows-vista7/
    However,it is as shelf life explained here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...l=1#post439897
    Quote Originally Posted by shelf life
    These tracks are generated every time you use your machine. If your concerned about them you could run Spybot before shutdown or at start up or at regular intervals but they will reappear over time and you will see the HKEY_USERS\ etc etc everytime you do scan.
    Did that help any?
    This is true.

This is a definition of usage tracks:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/glos...nition296.html

If you keep buying hard drives,usage tracks will continue to be found on them.That is the way that it is.I don't mean this impolitely,but to be blunt,if you continue buying new hard drives to be rid of tracks,it is a fool's errand.

none taken. and Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying ok but why should there be any at all? i suppose I am trying to understand what the point is of having them. why should we have them at all? should there not be more options to permanently destroy all of them or a way to disallow them??

Thanks,

Crystal
    Last edited by cbarneyc; 2014-01-25 at 07:16.

You're welcome.
    The reason that there are usage tracks is because while one person might not like them,another might view them as a feature.So,this is only my guess,of course,but when Microsoft makes a Windows computer,they have to make an effort to make everyone happy.So,they probably have to compromise.It's hard to explain,because there are so many different things that might fall under the category of "usage tracks".For an example,when I go onto my start menu,under All Programs,Wordpad is listed,with an arrow,and any wordpad documents I've recently used are listed there.I,myself,don't have much use for that list,and don't mind if it's removed,but don't care if anybody sees it.Another person might frequently use that list,and be very irate when it isn't available.Another person might prefer more privacy,and want Windows not to have such a list.
    In order to keep everyone happy,Microsoft leaves that as a feature.But,there is also the option in Windows 7 to rightclick the Start menu button,select Properties,open the Start menu tab,uncheck the Store and Display Recently Opened Items in the Start Menu and the Taskbar check box,click Apply and Ok,and the arrow showing my recent wordpad documents is gone,along with notepad,etc.

Spybot itself has to offer compromise when it scans for usage tracks.For an example:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/
    One of the downsides to storing your usage tracks is that attackers may use this information to steal your identity and compromise your system. The advanced features in Spybot S&D can remove some of the most important and common tracks on your system.
    One person might be concerned about the above,so they want to scan for and remove usage tracks frequently.

Another person might view usage tracks as a feature,and not like for Spybot to remove them.Potentially,somebody might not like for Spybot to remove any of the items quoted below.
    Usage tracks are the history of websites you visited, web pages pages you have opened, documents you have read or edited, programs you have run and other information recording your activities that is stored on your computer.
    This information is useful as it can speed up access to data. It is stored on your system in locations where users would not normally see it (for example the registry).
    Therefore,the solution/compromise to keeping everybody using Spybot happy is to offer scanning for usage tracks,but also the ability to be able to set Spybot to not scan for usage tracks,if somebody wishes,therefore both sides of the coin can set Spybot the way they wish to.