Thread: SpyBot 2.2 Removed A lot Of My Files! Please Help Me?

Exclamation SpyBot 2.2 Removed A lot Of My Files! Please Help Me?

I was running a scan on my C drive yesterday, it was taking way to long, over 5 hours. I noticed my entire desktop dissapeared so I ended taks on the task manager. All my valve steam games were gone but they were still in the list of files and I could still play them. I just did a system restore, my steam games are fine and I can play them using my steam tray again.

My problem is all the photos in my pictures folder are now gone, also lost a lot of videos I recorded of girls on the net. It is all gone! Is there anyway to recover these files?

http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ke-a-recovery/

I was reading this but I can't find where this "Recovery" option in the left bar is. Is there anyway to recover files this thing deleted?

That is for Spybot 1.6.2,you want the instructions for Spybot 2.2:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ntine-feature/

Thank you, I tried this but the damn program freezes and it hangs there trying to restore the files so I keep closing it from the task manager. How long does it take to restore files? It deleted my entire pictures folder and most of my documents which included a bunch of videos totaling more than 5gb probably.

It shouldn't take too long to restore the files,but if there is a lot to restore,that might cause the program to freeze.Clicking just some of the things you want to restore at a time might possibly make it restore faster,say ten at a time or so.

If you would like to post a Spybot report before you restore stuff,then it might show what happened all.
    To do that,open Spybot start center,click advanced mode,click Report Creator,click Show Logs,scroll through to the checks logfile with the date of when you ran the scan and it happened.Checks.140208-1716.txt would be from a scan on February 8 of this year,just for an example.

this1.jpg

Here is a picture of the files I can restore, am I doing it right? It only gives me one option and it freezes every time I try to restore it. There are probably over 4gb of files since it deleted most of my recorded videos and it deleted my entire picture folder.

Oh,I see there is only one category in quarantine to select.I assumed there would be a bunch.Thanks for posting the screenshot.
    Yes,the way you are trying to restore is correct,it is just that it isn't working,due to the freeze.
    I see it's listed as Unknown.I'm not familiar with that,but I see it's listed as a detection in Spybot.

Okay,first,could you let me know what operating system you have(Windows 7,XP,Windows 8,etc.)That will help me to know the correct path to your quarantine folder on your computer,so I can try to figure something out with it from there,if possible.
    Second,could you go back into quarantine in Spybot,click Show repair logs,find the checks logfile with the date appended to the end of it when your files were removed.Once you find it,doubleclick it,it will open in notepad,click Edit,select all,rightclick somewhere in the notepad window,select copy,then paste it here.That will help me to see what this is all about with the "Unknown" detection and try to get a bearing on it all,and see what I can do to help,etc.

I actually found the zip file, it is 26gb. The problem is it is encrypted and I can't extract it. What do I need to do to access these files?

Oh,good.You probably just need the password,which is recovery.

Since your quarantine shows what was removed in the Unknown category,and I'm unfamiliar with that,some and/or all of your stuff could have been removed because there was malware of some kind,or it could be a false positive.If you would like to ask somebody who knows about the Unknown category,then you'd go here and ask if it is a false positive,before extracting the zip file:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdispl...alse-Positives
    If you do decide you'd like to ask about it in there,then you should follow this:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...alse-Positives