Thread: Is it ok not to have a firewall

Default Is it ok not to have a firewall

On my PC, I have a hardware router which I connect to via a LAN connection. From what I read, routers act as firewalls so am I secure in that sense. I also use the tea Timer and Microsoft's built in Firewall. I have AVG and Win. Defender too. The reason I don't have a firewall is many take long to load up on my PC. Is their still a need, and if so can anyone offer a firewall that loads up fast. I tried Zone Alarm and Comodo with no avail. I use to have sygate but since their acquisition I am reluctant to use it.

Sorry If I posted in wrong section but I couldn't find anywhere more suitable.

Sound like you do not need a firewall. If you use P2P programs (Peer to peer programs) then you might want to use a firewall for an extra bonus of safety. Other than that, you should be fine using an anti-virus program and spybot SD.
    Are you being watched?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

djpailo:

If you are interested in a firewall and cost is a concern, there is a list of some free firewalls here:

I don't want to start a debate about the pros and cons of firewalls, but I personally use ZoneAlarm Free.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Microsoft built-in firewall for XP is good enough

Quote Originally Posted by djpailo View Post
    On my PC, I have a hardware router which I connect to via a LAN connection. From what I read, routers act as firewalls so am I secure in that sense. I also use the tea Timer and Microsoft's built in Firewall. I have AVG and Win. Defender too. The reason I don't have a firewall is many take long to load up on my PC. Is their still a need, and if so can anyone offer a firewall that loads up fast. I tried Zone Alarm and Comodo with no avail. I use to have sygate but since their acquisition I am reluctant to use it.

Sorry If I posted in wrong section but I couldn't find anywhere more suitable.
    the Microsoft built-in software firewall provided in Windows XP seems to be good enough for most XP users. djpailo, I'll assume you are using XP because XP first included the MS firewall.

md usa spybot fan, I will say that firewalls (hardware or software based) are essential when using broadband internet connections [DSL, cable, LAN] which are always-on connections and are VERY vulnerable to security threats. not having a firewall installed when using high-speed broadband connections may leave your machines a great chance to be breached or hacked into. having an antivirus application and spybot s&d and no firewall installed on a computer with broadband connection may not be enough to protect you from certain security threats.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

noel-pr7:

I personally believe that firewalls are essential also. The following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    I don't want to start a debate about the pros and cons of firewalls, but I personally use ZoneAlarm Free.
    Should have read:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    I don't want to start a debate about the pros and cons of different firewalls, but I personally use ZoneAlarm Free.
    Thanks for catching that.

djpailo:

Please note that although the Windows XP firewall is better than having no firewall, it only filters incoming traffic and therefore is not as secure as other firewalls that filter both incoming and outgoing traffic. Apparently Microsoft recognizes this weakness since the firewall in Vista will support filtering for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by djpailo View Post
    On my PC, I have a hardware router which I connect to via a LAN connection. From what I read, routers act as firewalls so am I secure in that sense. I also use the tea Timer and Microsoft's built in Firewall, AVG .
    Yeah i was wonderin that with all i have installed = have a wifi- modem/router 4 port, WinXP+SP2+AVG, Window washer, Ad-Aware, Ewido, CW Shredder.

But how safe can you be as i thought, but thats how i ended up here on this site because of a different problem on a diff. post.