Thread: eeekk! I need some help here

Default eeekk! I need some help here

A friend of mine a phoned and asked me to look at her computer,

When I went down there the screen showed as an error start up and would I like to return to a previous state when it was working. did that and now the expired anti virus and anti spyware she had on is reporting infections like crazy!!

problem is I cannot get onto the net to download some repair progs to clean it up
    to cut a long post short can you advise me on any software that can get this computer upto a state that can get onto the net, Explorer is just locked onto a page in C:/windows/System32/error and states the computer is infected and at risk.
    I need to load up a CD that I can make bootable with something on to clean it up, a sort of rescue disk. Anything that I can take with me really to avoid having to re-install XP and loose her work.

Thank you in advance

Hello.

By your description and as the PC had no up to date protection, odds are you have a computer that is so infected that to recommend tools to clean it up without taking a look at the system, would be pure guess work.

Specialized tools may be needed and a helper to assist you in using them.

It would be best if you could download HJT onto another PC, burn to a cd, then run hjt on the infected PC and post the log in the malware forum.

If possible.

• On the infected computer upload and put hijackthis into a permanent folder.
    • Do this first - go to C: and create a new permanent folder.
      Example C:\AntiSpyWare or C:\hijackthis
    • This is necessary to ensure you have backups should anything go wrong.
    • Then put the hijackthis.exe file into this folder.
      If you downloaded a zipped HJT file unzip it to the permanent folder so you have C:\hijackthis\hijackthis.exe.
    • Double click HijackThis.exe.
    • Hit None Of The Above, just start the program.
    • Hit Scan.
    • When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    • Click that, save the log somewhere, and copy/paste into your own new topic

Malware Removal Forum

Anyway do the best you can to get a log, post it and proceed from there.

If it doesn't work please let us know so we can think of a different approach.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thank you very much,
    I'll do that asp and post in malware section.
    scab's