Thread: Spybot Update crashes computer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot Update crashes computer

I recently did a recovery to the factory image. I then started reinstalling my third party applications after I had installed all the Windows updates. My anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. I use no third party "cleaning" applications or third party disk defraggers or firewalls; been there, done that. Anyway, after reinstalling my Spybot S&D Home version I decided to check for updates. I viewed the update log once the updates were completed and I noticed, near the top of the log page, that Spybot had found a "missing file" and installed it. I did a search for the file's name and it seems that it could have been related to Tea Timer, although I'm not certain, and was causing problems for many others. I never use Tea Timer when I install Spybot and after installation I always use the same settings. I wish I had copied the update log because I can't remember the name of the file, although I know that it contained and O or an 0, a X and the word "white" within the file name. I also forget where the file was located.

I decided to reboot the laptop after the Spybot installation, which I do after installing any application. The OS froze when I clicked on Start, Restart and it took forever to eventually shut down. During the Restart process I got a black screen for a few minutes and it finally showed the Login screen. I clicked on my Username and I received another black screen for appx. ten minutes. It finally went to my Desktop screen for a few seconds and then I received another black screen. I finally reached a stable Desktop at which time I decided to do a Restore to the day before, thus eliminating the Spybot installation and the problems the update caused. I wish I had the name of the file Spybot installed during the update but I do not. I've used the free version of Spybot for years and never had this problem. I used the paid Home version for months and never experienced the problem. It was the Spybot2 Home update that caused the problem. Anyway, I will not reinstall Spybot until the update problem is fixed. The problem could not have been related to anything but Spybot as my recovered OS was in a pristine state when it occurred and Spybot 2 was the first third party application I installed.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 on a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop. As stated before, only native Windows applications were installed at the time of the crash. The Spybot 2 Home application was the first third party application I attempted to install and I never run it in "real time". I use only Microsoft Security Essentials in real time. Also, as stated before, I never install Tea Timer.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

C. B.
    Last edited by Sichuan; 2014-02-16 at 21:21.
    It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to assist the deserving underprivileged and less fortunate among us.

Default Spybot update crashes computer

It seems that I can't edit my post so I'll list the information here, in a reply. I started thinking about the restore I did after the Spybot update crashed my computer and I realized that since I didn't uninstall Spybot there should still be a record of the logs. I found the log and the file that Spybot found missing and restored, along with a second file I had forgotten about. Whether or not one of these files is the cause of the crash I do not know. Anyway, the first file found missing and installed by the update is "X509White.sbs" and the second one is "WelcomeLinks.sbs". This is the actual wording on the update log: "X509White.sbs is missing and will be installed (version 20130306) and "WelcomeLinks.sbs is missing and will be installed (version 20130618)". There are dozens of other missing files and I don't know if the files pertain to the Spybot application itself or if they are files of malware to be included in the scan. The scanner log was uneventful. There is an Immunization-Browsers log and it seems to be uneventful. The Firewall log simply states "Successfully started listening on port 21322".

I have attached the entire update log if anyone is interested in looking at it. I had to split it in half since the file exceeded the limit by 10kb.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sichuan; 2014-02-17 at 03:25.
    It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to assist the deserving underprivileged and less fortunate among us.

Well, it seems that I'm the only person who experienced this problem and no answers are forthcoming. I've turned the problem over to the Safer Networking support staff and consider this thread solved, even though I see no way to mark it as solved.