Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mysterious desktop icons probably malware Silverlight and FantasticInst.exe

Hi Juliet,

My computer is running much better and faster than it was before. Thank you so much for your help.

The program Quiknowledge was not listed so I couldn't uninstall it, though I do remember uninstalling it at some point. Outfoxed seems to be gone now with the recent fix as it is no longer coming up on my desktop or start menu. That is fantastic!

I have noticed that I still get a notice from Windows about Plug and Play hardware that is attempting to install on my computer and I'm not sure what that is. Could it be the wireless mouse I am using?

The Yahoo page that I usually use as my homepage is being blocked by IE for security certificate errors and I'm not sure if there is something I need to do about it.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about either of these issues. I am very pleased with the improvements, especially now that Outfoxed seems to be gone.

I opened Mozilla Firefox and Outfoxed was the homepage... Also it appears that the version I have installed is outdated? Should I uninstall Firefox and install it again? I prefer to use Firefox as it seems to cause less problems with my computer (although maybe the problems have nothing to do with IE).

Here is the fixlog:

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x86) Version: 06-03-2014
    Ran by User at 2014-03-08 19:47:46 Run:2
    Running from C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop
    Boot Mode: Normal

==============================================

Content of fixlist:
    start
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1266927252-1395366336-781762406-1005\...\Run: [OutfoxTV] - C:\Program Files\OutfoxTV\OutfoxTV\DesktopContainer.exe [326032 2014-01-28] (Outfox Tv Productions Pty Ltd)
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1266927252-1395366336-781762406-1005\...\MountPoints2: G - G:\LaunchU3.exe
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.outfox.tv/?referid=150
    earchScopes: HKCU - URL http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?ctid=CT3324790&octid=EB_ORIGINAL_CTID&SearchSource=58&CUI=&UM=4&UP=SP39EB8F52-728A-4B52-97F8-70299885813E&q={searchTerms}&SSPV=
    SearchScopes: HKCU - SuggestionsURL_JSON http://suggest.search.conduit.com/CSuggestJson.ashx?prefix={searchTerms}
    FF HKLM\...\Firefox\Extensions: [jqs@sun.com] - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ff
    R2 OutfoxTvService; C:\Program Files\OutfoxTV\OutfoxTvService.exe [312720 2014-01-29] (Outfox Tv Productions Pty Ltd)
    S1 qknfd; system32\drivers\qknfd.sys [X]
    2014-03-06 17:30 - 2014-03-06 17:30 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Program Files\OutfoxTV
    2014-03-06 17:30 - 2014-03-06 17:30 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\OutfoxTV
    2014-03-06 17:26 - 2014-03-06 17:26 - 00930952 _____ (CNET Download.com) C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\cbsidlm-cbsi183-AdwCleaner-ORG-75851221.exe
    2014-03-06 17:04 - 2014-03-07 21:04 - 00000412 _____ () C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\At2.job
    C:\Windows\Tasks\At*.job
    Reboot:
    end

HKU\S-1-5-21-1266927252-1395366336-781762406-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\OutfoxTV => Value deleted successfully.
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1266927252-1395366336-781762406-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\S-1-5-21-1266927252-1395366336-781762406-1005 => Key not found.
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Start Page => Value was restored successfully.
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\\SuggestionsURL_JSON => Value deleted successfully.
    HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions\\jqs@sun.com => Value deleted successfully.
    OutfoxTvService => Service stopped successfully.
    OutfoxTvService => Service deleted successfully.
    qknfd => Service deleted successfully.
    C:\Program Files\OutfoxTV => Moved successfully.
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\OutfoxTV => Moved successfully.
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\cbsidlm-cbsi183-AdwCleaner-ORG-75851221.exe => Moved successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\At2.job => Moved successfully.
    C:\Windows\Tasks\At*.job => Moved successfully.

The system needed a reboot.

==== End of Fixlog ====

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

I am very pleased with the improvements, especially now that Outfoxed seems to be gone.

I opened Mozilla Firefox and Outfoxed was the homepage..
    lol
    it's gone but it's not?

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the programme then run

You can skip the optional steps here:

Select only #25 Restore Important Windows Services.

Let the program run,

Let the program run,

If no luck still for plug n play, read over the below links.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ha...evice_problems

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...r_support.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ificate-errors

Reset Firefox
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-most-problems
    Last edited by Juliet; 2014-03-09 at 19:40.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Let the program run, then get a fresh FSS scan again.
    What is FSS again?

What is FSS again?
    LOL
    Me messing up!

Something I had posted to a different User.

Did you proceed with the above post with Windows Repair?
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thanks for everything Juliet. You would have to be superhuman to not get some of the threads mixed up on occasion.

My computer seems to be running pretty well at this time and Outfox tv is not showing up on Mozilla or IE now. I'm still having problems with IE blocking content from every page. I did reset IE settings, but it's still being a pain. I'm just going to use Mozilla unless I have to use IE. I don't really need it much. I think I need IE to access some information on my employers site, but I'm hoping to change employers soon

During this time on the computer I have yet to receive the Plug and Play hardware installation msg, so that my have been resolved by simply changing back to an old mouse. Should I be concerned about this msg if it comes back?

At one point in this process it seemed that AVG went away and is now back. Should I be using AVG or something else to help protect my computer? When I use this desktop I do scan with Spybot at least once a week (should I scan more often?).

Should I uninstall the programs you had me install to fix my computer?

Would my computer support upgrading to Windows 8 and if so should I do so? I see the notes that Microsoft will stop providing support services in a month.

Again, I am so thankful for your help. I am trying to keep this computer working as long as possible as I can not afford to buy a new computer right now. The laptop I have with Ubuntu Linux is really functional for most things, but sometimes I need to use a computer with a Windows operating system.

Default Java

Also, I would like to be able to print coupons though my computer if possible and I know I need to have Java for most coupon printing. What are your thoughts on this? I suspect it opens my computer up to lots of trouble.

During this time on the computer I have yet to receive the Plug and Play hardware installation msg, so that my have been resolved by simply changing back to an old mouse. Should I be concerned about this msg if it comes back?
    You can post here, I'll try to help troubleshoot with this but I'm not very good with hardware.

I'm still having problems with IE blocking content from every page. I did reset IE settings
    The below links are a good read that show where others had the same issues.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...b-22c37af5b6c5
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tprocurrentver

At one point in this process it seemed that AVG went away and is now back. Should I be using AVG or something else to help protect my computer? When I use this desktop I do scan with Spybot at least once a week (should I scan more often?).
    Free Antivirus-AntiSpyware-Firewall Software
    Scanning with SpyBot weekly is a good idea, with the list above you have choices. If not satisfied with one you can use a different one. All are good and free choices.
    Should I uninstall the programs you had me install to fix my computer?
    Yes, I'm about to help with this.

Would my computer support upgrading to Windows 8 and if so should I do so? I see the notes that Microsoft will stop providing support services in a month.
    http://forums.whatthetech.com/index....owtopic=127901
    The above is a very informative response to all the questions you might have about Microsoft and the ending support issue.

Also, I would like to be able to print coupons though my computer if possible and I know I need to have Java for most coupon printing. What are your thoughts on this? I suspect it opens my computer up to lots of trouble.
    For this, let's get the latest version of java and set up with restrictions.

Install Java:

Please go here to install Java
    • click on the Free Java Download Button
    • click on Agree and start Free download
    • click on Run
    • click on run again
    • click on install
    • when install is complete click on close

*NoScript - Addon for Firefox that stops all scripts from running on websites. Stops malicious software from invading via flash, java, javascript, and many other entry points.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Run FRST/FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
    no needed to post the log this time.

start
    DeleteQuarantine:
    end
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Download Delfix from here
    2. Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
      Also tick:
      • Create registry backup
      • Purge system restore

3. Click Run

Any other tools and files found can simply be deleted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your good to go, good job!

Please take the time to read over a few of my preventive tips.

Computer Security
    http://malwareremoval.com/forum/view...557960#p557960
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be prepared for CryptoLocker:

Cryptolocker Ransomware: What You Need To Know

CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please navigate to Microsoft Windows Updates and download all the "Critical Updates" for Windows.

AdblockPlus
    • AdblockPlus, Surf the web without annoying ads!
    • Blocks banners, pop-ups and video ads - even on Facebook and YouTube
    • Protects your online privacy
    • Two-click installation, It's free!
    • click the icon that corresponds to your browser and download.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WOT Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop, helping you avoid the dangerous sites.
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.
    • Green should be good to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop

Please read the following safe computing articles..

Secure My Computer: A Layered Approach

Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

I uninstalled AVG and the disinfection tools from my computer. I also used FRST to remove quarantine. I installed Microsoft security essentials program and ran it.

I tried to install Java but failed to install. I may just have to let Java go as my computer may not be compatible with the most recent version and many sites that require Java want the most up to date version.

After reviewing some of the info on Windows XP, I'm pretty concerned about the potential problems I could have if I continue to use the internet on this computer. I ran the Windows 7 upgrade adviser and my computer does not have enough RAM. The report said my current graphic adapter will not support Windows Aero user interface. I can probably buy and install more RAM and I don't know how critical the Windows Aero user interface is for basic functioning.

It looks like I would have to reinstall stuff and update some things to function properly with Windows 7. I have pasted the report below. Any thoughts on this?

I feel like if I don't upgrade to Windows 7 (which may be the best I can do) all hell is going to break out. It's like Y2K Armageddon.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
    Computer Name:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
    Memory: 512 MB

System Details
    Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
    Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP
    Windows Aero support Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
    Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
    512 MB of RAM Your PC needs at least 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit Windows 7 for optimal performance. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
    Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
    Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
    CPU speed: 2.5 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
    80.2 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details
    Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
    Linksys Action recommended Before installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver.
    photosmart 7700 series (DOT4PRINT)
    Hewlett-Packard Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.
    56Kbps Internal Modem
    Smart Link (www.smlink.com) Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    Avance AC'97 Audio
    Avance Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)
    Microsoft Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)
    Microsoft Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    hp photosmart 7700 series
    Hewlett-Packard Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
    Intel Corporation Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
    Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)
    photosmart 7700 series (DOT4)
    Hewlett-Packard Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    photosmart 7700 series (DOT4PRT)
    photosmart 7700 series (DOT4USB)
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Realtek Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    USB 2.0 Root Hub
    NEC Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    USB Mass Storage Device
    Compatible USB storage device Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    USB Printing Support
    Microsoft Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
    Microsoft IntelliPoint 5.5
    version 5.50.661.0
    Microsoft Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
    Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution
    Microsoft IntelliType Pro 5.5
    version 5.50.661.0
    Microsoft Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
    Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution
    Windows Defender
    version 1.1.1593.21
    Microsoft Corporation Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
    Google Earth
    version 4.3.7284.3916
    Google Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    Get a free update to a compatible version
    Microsoft Office XP Professional
    version 10.0.6626.0
    Microsoft Corporation Paid update required This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
    Get a paid update to a compatible version
    Microsoft Works 7.0
    version 07.02.0620
    Microsoft Corporation Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    pdfFactory Pro Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    RealPlayer (32-bit)
    version 7.0.1.444
    RealNetworks, Inc. Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
    RealPlayer
    RealNetworks This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo. A free update to a newer version is also available.
    Get the free update
    Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
    version 8.0.50727.4053
    Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    version 8.0.61001
    Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
    version 9.0.30729.6161
    Adobe AIR
    version 1.5.3.9120
    Adobe Systems Inc. Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
    Get the free update
    Adobe Reader 9.5.2
    version 9.5.2
    Adobe Systems Incorporated Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
    Get the free update
    K-Lite Codec Pack 8.8.0 (Full)
    version 8.8.0 Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
    Get the free update
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    version 2.2.30729
    Microsoft Corporation Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
    Get the free update
    Winamp (remove only) Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
    Get the free update
    Windows Internet Explorer 8
    version 20090308.140743
    Microsoft Corporation Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
    Get the free update
    Adobe Download Manager
    version 1.6.2.103
    NOS Microsystems Ltd. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    version 11.0
    Adobe Systems, Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Amazon MP3 Downloader 1.0.17
    version 1.0.17
    Amazon Services LLC Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    DivX Codec
    version 6.8.5
    DivX, Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    DivX Player
    version 6.8.2 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    DivX Web Player
    version 1.4.2
    DivX,Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    ERUNT 1.1j
    Lars Hederer Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    version 3.2.30729
    Microsoft Corporation Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    version 3.5
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    version 4.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    version 4.0
    Microsoft Outlook Web Access S/MIME
    version 6.5.7651.60
    Microsoft Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    version 4.4.304.0
    QuickTime
    version 7.69.80.9
    Apple Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Shockwave Director 10.3 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    version 1.6.0
    Safer Networking Limited Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One)
    version 2.5.1
    Tweaking.com Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
    Windows Media Player 11 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
    Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information
    Requirement Details
    Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.
    512 MB of RAM Your PC memory doesn't meet the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7. When running XP Mode, you might experience poor performance.
    Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

The report said my current graphic adapter will not support Windows Aero user interface. I can probably buy and install more RAM and I don't know how critical the Windows Aero user interface is for basic functioning.
    I would think this could be updated or questions asked at the manufacturing site of your computer?
    I really have no idea.

Save that log, You would be better helped with these type of questions here.
    You will need to register, then create a topic. The gentlemen here will try to help you.
    http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=105
    Other Computer Problem Techs Chat Area and questions answered

Default Thanks Juliet

Thanks again and I want you to know I really appreciate all of your help. I will try What the Tech and see what advise they have.

All my best to you, Tonia