Thread: Spyhunter : malware or not ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Spyhunter : malware or not ??

Spybot IDed and removed "Spyhunter".

Is it really malware ?

I installed Spyhunter because it was listed as an automatic remove for the
    "Spyware Quake 2.3" Virus.

I did not buy Spyhunter,m but it listed all the Spyware Quake files and reg entries, I removed them manually, and Spybot did the rest.
    Spybot alone was not able to get rid of Spyware Quake 2.3.

So I wonder, how a software can be malware, if it actually helped a lot to get rid of Spyware Quake.

Also I did not found warnings on the web, that Spyhunter is a fake-anitvirues (like Spyware Quake)

I did also a search on this forums, and did not find a topic about this.

any commnets ?

Hello,

The reasons why Spybot - Search & Destroy detects this software as malware are several ones:
    There are anti-spyware tools like 1stAntivirus, AdsAlert, ADS-Remover, AdwareAlert, ADWAREBazooka, Adware-Patrol, AdWare Pro, AdwarePunisher, Adware Remover, AdwareSheriff, AdwareSpy, AdwareX Eliminator, AgentSpyware, Alfacleaner, Antispywaresoldier, Antivirus Gold, AntiVirusPro, BPS Spyware Remover, DiaRemover, Doctor-Adware-Pro, Easy-Spyware-Killer, ErrorGuard, ETD-Security-Scanner, EyeSpyNow, Goodbye-Spy, KillSpy, NoAdware, PC-Health-Plan, Pestbot, PSGuard, PurityScan, Registry Cleaner, Repair Registry Pro, ScanSpyware, Spionfrei, SpyAxe, SpyBlocs, SpyCleaner, Spycontra, Spydeface, SpyDestroy-Pro, SpyFalcon, SpyGuard, SpyHeal, Spyhunter, SpySherrif, SpySpotter, SpywareBomber, SpywareBot, SpywareCleaner, SpywareNO!, SpywareSoftStop, SpywareStormer, SpywareStrike, SpywareQuake, SpyQuake, Trek Blue Error Nuker, Trojan-Guarder, TrueSword, Virusblast, WareOut, WinAntivirusPro2006, WinFixer, WinHound, WorldAntispy, X-Con-Spyware-Destroyer, X-Spyware, XSRemover, YourSoft-AntiVS or YourSoft-AntiVT which have a very dubious or bad character. They state to be an anti-spyware tool but employ questionable advertising methods: In the form of a PopUp they offer a scan of your system. They refer you to an infection of viruses and spyware on your system which is actually not true, because the listed items are not really on your pc. After downloading the software you can only scan for the threats. If the threats (pseudo-infections) are detected you have to register first and pay (up to $30) in order to remove them. Some of these dubious anti-spyware tools do also create a toolbar in IE and create recurring PopUps.

Screenshots are availible at: http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=15694

More dubious anti-spyware tools you will find here:
    http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

thanks Sandra,

I see the point now.

I had a sim. issue with "toolbar888" - used spyhunter (which did not provide a cleaning tool as claimed), but it listed the registry entries which I manually removed..
    Not happy about the false advertising, but it did allow me to remove the toolbar....
    I guess it's sometimes a case of what ever works...

Cheers, Pat....

I love how some of these, after you purchase their stuff, list their own software as malware to be removed

Security Expert: Emeritus

Toolbar888 is commonly seen with virtumonde(vundo) Should probably post logs

Quote Originally Posted by Atribune View Post
    Toolbar888 is commonly seen with virtumonde(vundo) Should probably post logs
    Indeed, thanks Atribune.

patspeak if you would like to post a Spybot S&D log so that we can check the System please do the following:

Spybot-S&D version 1.4
    Version 1.4 :Systems Supported
    • Close all browsers
    • Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available
    • Check for problems and fix everything found in red
    • Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except
    • Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
    • Uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
    • Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.
    • Now select (near the top) view report.
    • Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report.

Or:
    Follow the instructions in this sticky topic to post a HJT log in malware removal.
    "BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps and scanning with SPYBOT-S&D

Then start your own thread:
    Malware Removal Forum
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Spyhunter log

I ran Spyhunter and got the following log.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ngerrr/log.jpg

Why doesn't Spybot remove this stuff? Especially the stuff in my registry!! Zlob.trojan?

Hello,

Please have a look at this link on our homepage:
    Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Spyhunter uninstalled Spybot?

I tried to boot S&D a few hours after I installed SpyHunter and found I had to reinstall it!!!! Did Spyhunter uninstall SpyBot??