Thread: Can i undo White Files?

Default Can i undo White Files?

My IE 8 just crashed. My PC is three weeks old and I am scanning daily, Immunized regularly and yet my response times are increasing as our non-responsive events. I am not an expert but I can only conclude that my White Files contain an infection?

You are referring to the whitelist you can create when your computer is new,correct?With Spybot 2.2?

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You are referring to the whitelist you can create when your computer is new,correct?With Spybot 2.2?
    Yes, the White List I created during Spybot 2.2 install process. My PC came with McAfee installed by Dell. I think I was on the web once, at only reputable sites, yet my new PC is acting much like my old PC with XP on which Spybot located a Trojan virus. No files have been moved between the two PCs. TY for your consideration.

Tim

Ok,thanks,I wanted to be sure.
    Please see here.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...tem-whitelist/
    If you have the 32-bit version of windows,then the location is the same as on the page I linked to.
    If you have the 64-bit version of Windows,then the location should be here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\Includes\PosSystem.sbs

Default Whitelist location

I found the possystems.sbs file deleted it, ran a scan and don't believe that anything significant was found. I was uncertain if I was to delete the file or just look in it so I restored the file after scan did "not finding anything"? Is this the action I was supposed to take? Maybe I am just paranoid after finding a Trojan infection on previous PC. Perhaps the response times are increasing due to Spybot processes running to protect my PC.

Thank you for your assistance

The page meant to delete the file,not look at it,but you restoring it afterwards shouldn't hurt anything since nothing was found.
    You have Spybot 2.2,may I ask which edition of it you have?(Free,Home,Professional,etc.)

Default Edition

Home Edition

Ok,thanks.

To clarify,the longer response times and not responding you are seeing are from different programs on your computer,plus when you're on the internet?
    If it is,the edition you have may explain some of that,depending on a few things.

Spybot Home edition is anti-malware plus an antivirus,which includes live protection.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/live-protection/
    If you have McAfee's real-time protection on as well,then these are both real-time scanners,and having two of those on at once can cause slowdowns,conflicts,etc.
    If you have both real-time scanners running at once,it might be best if you considered disabling one or the other,leaving one running.

I'm not sure what product of McAfee's you have,but if you decide to choose to disable their real-time scanner,then I found some instructions here,which might help,depending on your version.There is a "Never" option listed there for the time to start again:
    http://download.mcafee.com/products/...F6F874E50.html

If you decide to choose to disable or uninstall Spybot's Live Protection,you can do that by opening the Spybot start center,checkmarking advanced mode,clicking Settings(saying Yes to UAC,if applicable),click the Live Protection tab,then you click Show Live Protection Advanced Control.There you can see two options to deactivate Live Protection,or uninstall Live Protection,whichever is your preference.If you decide on uninstalling Live Protection and change your mind at a later date,it can be installed again within the program.

If you decide to disable one real-time scanner,and still find things are slow,then you can always switch real-time scanners between the two to see how things go.

If you decide to do that,then please let me know how it goes.

Default Response times

I uninstalled McAfee the same day I installed Spybot. Sorry for the delay, I had not checked-in for awhile and just read your recommendations.

TY

S'okay.
    Shouldn't be a real-time scanning conflict then.
    Is the computer still acting the same?