Thread: Rootkit Scan result - infected?

Default Rootkit Scan result - infected?

Hi everyone,

my computer was really slow today and I used Spybot Search and Destroy 2.2 to scan the system for rootkits.

// info: Rootkit removal help file
    // copyright: (c) 2008-2014 Safer-Networking Ltd. All rights reserved.

:: RootAlyzer Results
    File:"No admin in ACL","C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp\~DF21D1F60A1FBD2EA7.TMP"

Can I delete the file or will that cause problems?
    Thanks for your help in advance!

Hello Staubfinger,

In general all items found by the RootAlyzer are not necessarily malicious. That's a temp file and may not show on another scan tomorrow.

Please list:
    The operating system
    Other security programs installed
    Any issues with the computer's performance other than it being slow today?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi tashi

thanks, I will do another scan tomorrow. I also did a scan with Malwarebites anti rootkit and it said, when I started it, that registr value "AppInit_Dlls" has been found and might cause problems and asked me if I want to delete it (it did not find the .TMP file that I had posted before though). What do you think?

My operating system: Windows 7
    Other security programs installed: Avira Free Antivirus, Malwarebites Anti-malware, Malwarebites anti rootkit and spybot search and destroy, only Avira is scanning constantly, I use the others every now and again for checks.
    Any issues with the computer's performance other than it being slow today? No, simply being slow and stubborn (not sure what you consider as other performance issues though)

Thanks a lot!

Hi Staubfinger,

Quote Originally Posted by Staubfinger View Post
    Hi tashi

thanks, I will do another scan tomorrow. I also did a scan with Malwarebites anti rootkit and it said, when I started it, that registr value "AppInit_Dlls" has been found and might cause problems and asked me if I want to delete it (it did not find the .TMP file that I had posted before though). What do you think?
    .TMP =Temporary files, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/92635

Sometimes they can be infected but it appears unlikely. If you need to ask about the results of a malwarebytes scan you can always ask in their forums.

Which version of Spybot 2.2 do you have please. http://www.safer-networking.org/

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016