Thread: password for editing scheduled tasks

Question password for editing scheduled tasks

Hi,

Every time I attempt to update/change my scheduled tasks I'm asked for 'Run as' and to confirm a password. I don't recall ever setting a password, if I did where will I find a retrieval; and the 'Run as' is different for 'scan', 'immunize' and 'update' is this correct?
    operating system: Vista
    browser: Chrome
    I don't know what info you would need.

thanks

Lillbet

Let's see....I'm not sure if I remember it all completely correctly.It's a bit confusing.
    But I believe task scheduler is expecting the password you use to login to Windows Vista.
    If you did not set a password to login to Windows Vista,then it won't let you proceed,since blank passwords are limited,because windows considers blank passwords a security risk.
    There's a couple solutions.
    a.You could set your Vista login account to use a password,then use that same password to change the scheduled tasks.
    b.Or,you can use gpedit to change blank passwords being limited,but gpedit is only available in certain versions of Vista,I believe.
    c.Or,the windows registry can be changed so that blank passwords are no longer limited.
    B and C would be considered a security risk,so you'd have to be willing to overlook that.

Yes,the Run As is different for all 3 tasks,as I recall.

Hi Zenobia,

Thanks for that I will give your suggestions a try.

Thanks
    lillibet

You're welcome.

I'm able to change my own scheduled tasks,I assumed I'd changed it in the registry some time ago so I didn't need a password to do that,but after reading your question,I peeked into my own registry,and it looks like I didn't change anything,unless I'm looking at the wrong registry key,of course(which is entirely possible).Or I did something else,who knows.
    I'm on Windows 7,I believe my task scheduler is the same as the task scheduler in Vista.
    So,before trying anything else,please try rightclicking task scheduler and running it as Administrator before you try editing any of the Spybot scheduled tasks.If it still prompts you for a password,we'll put it down to my own forgetfulness,and assume you need the password.

If you need any help setting up a password,or anything like that in order to edit the Spybot scheduled tasks,please let me know,I'll look for instructions on it for you.