Thread: SB 2.3 is not helping me

Unhappy SB 2.3 is not helping me

Sorry can't find a clear place (to me) where to place this questions.

I updated my older free version of SB S&D to the free 2.3 version but I don't seem to be able to make a search of only the "C" disk (I have two removable ones, 500 GB each ) I hit scan the first time after installing 2.3 and couldn't allow it to finish as it showed like 30 hours left to complete, I can't leave my PC on for such a long time.

I am sure there must be an easier way.
    I can't unplug the other removable disks every time I need to do a system scan, which I suppose would be a mean to avoid this problem.

I tried to scan folder(s) but SB appears to freeze and nothing happens, also with scan files I can't select multiple files and nothing shows in the space to print the name(s).

I wouldn't mind having to purchase the full home version, but need to know if it will be easier to handle than the free version. I can more or less follow some computer "jargon" but get lost if it is too "geeky" :D

I fell inlove with SB since 2003 I think, recommended by my eldest daughter. It's always been my favourite. Whenever I could I did make a donation, but being retired and an Argentine citizen doesn't help money wise, it's getting tougher every year.

I hope somebody may help ? I would hate to stop using SB, thank you
    Martha - a.k.a. marthig

Hello.
    Try opening Spybot Start Center,click System Scan(say yes to UAC,if applicable),then click Stop Scan.The button will change to Show Scan Results,and then there should be an arrow beside that.Click the arrow,then choose scan with different options,then a window should appear showing your drive letters.You can remove the checkmarks beside all drive letters except for C,then click Ok,and Spybot should start scanning the C:\ drive only.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Hello.
    Try opening Spybot Start Center,click System Scan(say yes to UAC,if applicable),then click Stop Scan.The button will change to Show Scan Results,and then there should be an arrow beside that.Click the arrow,then choose scan with different options,then a window should appear showing your drive letters.You can remove the checkmarks beside all drive letters except for C,then click Ok,and Spybot should start scanning the C:\ drive only.
    Hmm "input!" yess! On my way to try that, many many thanks Zenobia
    Will add a comment with how it went :D

Default Sad to report

It didn't work Zenobia, when stopping the scan the only options available are scan for track usage and show results, no possibility of selecting drives to scan.
    I do get a tab suggesting to PURCHASE the Home edition that has antivirus included.
    Thanks anyway.

I have the pro version.It's possible that scanning with different options isn't available in the free version.Sorry about that,I didn't mean to mislead you.
    You could try booting in safe mode,then scanning with Spybot,and see if that might cut the scan time down a little bit.There are instructions here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ll=1#post23629

If that doesn't help,then you could change how you scan in Categories.
    To do that,open Spybot Start Center,click Use Advanced Mode,click Settings(saying yes to UAC,if applicable.),then click the categories tab.Right click somewhere in the window to the right,you should see different scanning options.
    You could try either 'Most Active Malware scan',or 'Minimal Scan',since both would cut down on what is being searched for,then press Apply,then OK.
    That isn't ideal,since you aren't getting a full scan,but it might cut the scan time down to a manageable level.

This last suggestion might help, anyway I mean to search for the possibility of downloading an older (easier) version of SB S&D.

I thought of removing the scanning for some "pests" in the settings, or as you mentioned "Categories" but at the moment, one of the other undesirable "attitudes" of this version, is that now I can't even Stop or Pause the scan. It's done only 50% (or almost, if you see a half filled glass ) and I intend to let it continue until (if ever) it finishes.

I had already uninstalled 2.3 in case there might have been some glitch during the first installation, but now after the second try, it's the same story so as I said above I will let it finish this scan and if I find out that there is a possibility of installing an older version will do that and/or try to trim the scan in the settings as you suggested.

Thank you for your time and patience.

You're welcome.

If the scan won't stop or pause from within the program,a way you could stop it is to open task manager,click the Processes tab,then click SDScan.exe and then click End Process.That should stop the scan.

I had already uninstalled 2.3 in case there might have been some glitch during the first installation, but now after the second try, it's the same story so as I said above I will let it finish this scan and if I find out that there is a possibility of installing an older version will do that and/or try to trim the scan in the settings as you suggested.
    The Spybot 1.6.2 version is available on this page,under Other Downloads:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
    If you have any trouble updating that version,there are manual updates available right underneath that.