Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Settings won't hold!

Question Settings won't hold!

I'm running Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.3.39.0 and there are two settings which are habitually lost when I re-start my local machine. Settings > System Services > ScannerService is off in spite of "Active after every reboot" being checked; and Settings > Internet Protection > "Use Spybot proxy" is unchecked in spite of my repeatedly checking it.

Your advice on how I can avoid this tedious loss of settings will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities. - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

The Spybot scanner service needs to run for the Spybot proxy to work,so that might be why you're having trouble with the two settings.

Anything I did with the scanner service happened immediately without using Apply and Ok,but when I checkmarked the Spybot proxy,that did need me to click Apply and OK to show under proxy settings.Soooo.......
    Maybe try this.Reboot,go back into Spybot settings,System Services tab,start the Spybot scanner service,then click the Internet Protection tab,checkmark Use Spybot proxy,then click Apply and Ok,then reboot,and see if the service and proxy are off again.

And while you're here,can you let me know what operating system you're using?That will make it easy to tell you how to get into Services.msc if Spybot scanner service doesn't stay running after you reboot.

Thumbs up So far, so good!

Zenobia, I did as you advised and upon the second re-start both the Scanner and the Spybot proxy were running. Yay! The only difference in procedure: After the first re-start I didn't click "Apply" right after turning on the Scanner, but I did click "Apply" (then "OK") after ticking the "Use Spybot proxy" box. We shall see if this welcome change continues!

System-wise, here are pertinent data:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MRCAT-08607D7B3
    System Manufacturer IBM
    System Model 1847W76
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1862 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date IBM 76ET69WW (1.29 ), 12/6/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.33
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name MRCAT-08607D7B3\Joe
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 790.19 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.60 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Thank you very much for your help! Wish me and my "old" local machine luck.

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities. - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

You're welcome.
    Wish me and my "old" local machine luck.
    Eh,some of those older machines are pretty sophisticated.I have one here that keeps insisting that the date is February 13,1970.I think it must be planning on some sort of time-travel excursion,but nothing has happened so far.

Exclamation 13 February 1970

Well, Zenobia, here's the only newsworthy item I can find for 13 February 1970: A man-eating tiger was reported to have killed 48 people, 80 kilometers from New Delhi. (Just like my birthday anniversary in June of this year, that date in 1970 fell on a Friday.) Hmm....

Aha!That explains the shrill beeeeeeep when I turn it on and the disturbing thunderous sounds in the tower........it's been practicing sounding scary so it can go back to scare off that tiger and save those people.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2014-06-26 at 01:37.

Cool To help with its plan....

Should your old computing machine succeed in reaching back to 1970, Zenobia, here is an example of what it might find in the way of electronic brethren (and humans too)....

1970_computer1.jpg

By the way, Spybot is back to loosing its settings again.

Well,Fred will be hailed as cutting edge technology.
    Yes,I actually named my computer.I decided on Fred,for Fred Flintstone,because he's practically prehistoric.

Please go to Start,then Run,type in Services.msc,and press Ok.
    Once services opens,scroll down to Spybot S & D 2 Scanner Service,double click it,then make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic,then click Apply and OK.

Would you have any security software installed that might prevent changes happening to your computer?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2014-06-26 at 23:50.

Thumbs up Done!

I did as you advised, Zenobia; and that setting was already set to "Automatic" so I clicked "OK" (since "Apply" was not enabled). The only security software installed, other than Spybot - Search & Destroy, is SpywareBlaster 5.00 and Windows Firewall.

My local machine's name is Asuka, by the way, after Asuka Langley AsukaNouveau01A.jpg of Evangelion franchise fame. I think she could help Fred with his time travel!

I think she could,too.Hopefully they don't return with the tiger,though. hehe!

Speaking of Fred,I'm going to go check......there is one Spybot service that wasn't there when I looked,though I think it is a different one than the file scanner.