Thread: Question on SpyBot Teatimer and AVG resident Shield

Default Question on SpyBot Teatimer and AVG resident Shield

Hello list,

I have both AVG's Resident Shield and SpyBot Teatimer installed and active.

I was wondering do I need both? Can I turn one of them off to same cycles and/or run-time memory usage.

From my reading of the specifications of the two they appear to be doing the same thing. (Is my understanding correct?)

Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

friarDuncan

This is the description for Teatimer:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...dent-teatimer/
    This is the description for AVG resident shield:
    http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-3516

Lines do blur and cross,but basically,Teatimer is checking Antispyware type things,while AVG resident shield probably concentrates on Antivirus type things,though I believe it may also deal with some Antispyware type things now,too.You really ought not disable your antivirus resident protection,so if you disable one or the other,you really ought to choose Teatimer to disable.
    If you would like to disable teatimer,go into Spybot -> Mode -> Advanced Mode -> Tools -> Resident,and uncheck Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Hello Zenobia and Team SpyBot,

My apologies for not responding sooner; stuff in life kept me busy on other things.

Firstly, thank you for your prompt reply and pointers that clarified my understanding.

My reasoning that lead to my original question was that after I had installed a new Windoze environment on a laptop I put on AVG and was just monitoring the memory and CPU usage to get an idea of the system start point.

Subsequent to this I put on SB and the related Teatimer and noticed that the idle system used 50 M-bytes more and thought to ask if the AVG resident shield and Teatimer were doing the same thing I would just turn off one or the other. For a little detail: with Teatimer and AVG Resident Shield the idle system uses a total RAM of 430 M-Bytes and with Resident Shield only it uses 380 M-Bytes.

Not a real problem when you consider it though.

I am running Windoze 2000 on a laptop with 2 G-Bytes RAM and a 3 G-Byte page space.

Memory usage/shortage has not been a problem so I intend to keep both Teatimer and AVG's Resident Shield enabled.

Again, thank you for your guidance.

friarDuncan

My apologies for not responding sooner; stuff in life kept me busy on other things.
    No problem.
    You're welcome.