Thread: Weird things happened - MALWARE frustratlions. folders PRACOPH and PHIZOTHER

Question Weird things happened - MALWARE frustratlions. folders PRACOPH and PHIZOTHER

Late Friday evening I stupidly downloaded something not thinking and got more than i bargained for.
    Clearance of this defeated me for a time. Chrome was hijacked and brought you "TROTUX" and many other things beside. I knew I copped it.
    Every time the culprit folders were deleted - they would come back 1.1 or 2.1... inc Sunnyboy among others. Sadly Spy Bot, despite quarantining them just did not clear them. Following forum advice I used, Adware, Malwarebytes and finally HitmanPRo which did the trick. So thank you SPYBOT forum for that.

Having a habit of looking at the program files which landed about the time of the infestation, I noticed another new folder which appeared Viz. PRACOPH in the PROGRAM (x86) files. While I did glimpse it in the eradication runs, that particular folder has remained.

Also, when I was trying to uninstall insidious items, the other new folder PHIZOTHER popped up. And again that has remained.

Not that I profess to know anything much about computers, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these folders please?
    Last edited by tashi; 2016-10-03 at 17:26. Reason: Moved from Hardware to the Tavern

Hello madcap378,

Quote Originally Posted by madcap378 View Post
    Having a habit of looking at the program files which landed about the time of the infestation, I noticed another new folder which appeared Viz. PRACOPH in the PROGRAM (x86) files. While I did glimpse it in the eradication runs, that particular folder has remained.

Also, when I was trying to uninstall insidious items, the other new folder PHIZOTHER popped up. And again that has remained.

Not that I profess to know anything much about computers, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these folders please?
    It might be best for someone to take a look at the system, please see the Malware Removal Forum sticky which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic in that forum providing the logs so a volunteer analyst can guide you.

All instructions given are customized for that member's personal computer only, the tools used may cause damage if run on a machine with different specs/infections. Please do not take fixes given to another user and apply to your own machine.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Fair Enough!

I will be unable to follow your instructions until tomorrow if that is permissible.

So until then
    Thank you
    madcap378

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello madcap378,

It might be best for someone to take a look at the system, please see the Malware Removal Forum sticky which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic in that forum providing the logs so a volunteer analyst can guide you.

All instructions given are customized for that member's personal computer only, the tools used may cause damage if run on a machine with different specs/infections. Please do not take fixes given to another user and apply to your own machine.

Best regards.

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016