Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spybot Home crashed during system cleanup while "Fixing Selected Problems"

Quote Originally Posted by Venum View Post
    Im having the same issue, the "not responding" crash even when i scan one file and find a malware as son as i click fix the spybot freezes :(
    You could contact support,and see what they say.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've been off line while moving house and have just done my first Spybot check since that last one I posted, and still the same problem.

Just logged in here to find if there was a reply so I'll try your suggestion this week and see what happens then let you know.
    Just to let you know this has made no difference and Spybot still won't 'fix selected' without freezing.
    I'm going to uninstall Spybot now and will live without it.

Okay.
    Or you could also contact support,they might be able to help you with something I'm not able to,if it's something happening within the progam.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

Default Programme crashing when click 'fix selected' following scan

Just wanted to register that I have been having the same problem as described by others - trying to follow the posts searching for simple answer.

Are you getting a "Not responding" window that says "Spybot is not responding.Windows can check online for a solution...."etc when the program crashes?

Default Spybot crashes when attempting to fix files after scan.

I have found a solution, insofar as my situation, regarding this issue.

The problem appears to be google chrome:

If you use google chrome as your browser, and the scan detects some problematic files associated with chrome, you must do the following to prevent spybot from locking up during an attempted fix -

Either:

A. After the scan is completed, DE-select any files associated directly with google chrome (refer to the problem files list that is created after the scan), THEN you should be able to fix the remaining files, if any, without spybot locking up.

OR

B. After the scan is completed, but before you attempt to fix any selected files, google chrome must be closed COMPLETELY. Therefore, any windows of google chrome must be X'd out and closed, then go to the task manager (In Windows, press 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' then select 'Start Task Manager), then to the 'Processes' tab. Close ALL instances of 'chrome.exe' or any variant (such as 'chrome.exe*32'). The fastest way to do this is to look for the instance of chrome.exe which is using the largest amount of memory -- closing those instances will usually close the rest as well. Otherwise you will simply be closing individual chrome extensions. Once you have close all instances of chrome, then run the 'Fix selected issues' in spybot.

More than likely, a chrome extension is hanging spybot. I have not taken the time to try to figure out which instance of chrome.exe is the problem, but needless to say, this does work reliably for me, on 2 separate machines that had the same problem.

Good luck.

Default still no joy

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Sorry,I meant to say "see if the fixing would complete",not the scan.

Selecting "Spyware Scan Only" will let Spybot continue to search for malware.
    Taking tracks off for the time being will cut down on the number of items being found after a scan,which will cut down on the number of items being fixed,which might allow the fixing to complete,since the "Not Responding" message might be happening if there is a lot of things to fix.Tracks aren't malware,so it's ok to not scan for them during one scan to see if it will complete,it will do no harm,and I can help you set Spybot to look for them again afterwards.This one scan is just a test,to kind of try to see what might be happening,as it were.
    i tried that myself and even over night would not delete just 5 things found. this only started when i updated to 2.4 on windows 8.1. left it on all night to see if time would help, no joy. looked at task manage and spybot was sitting idle.

Default Spybot crashes during Fixing every time I use it

I've reviewed the full thread on this problem and tried the recommended solutions, including deselecting problems associated with Chrome. I crash every time I try to Fix Selected Problems. I'm using Spybot + Antivirus, Home edition, v2.4, and Google Chrome. I clean up the temp files prior to running Scan, and have tried running it with nothing else open as well as with Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, etc. open. It hangs up regardless. This has been going on for many months and at this point, rather than continue using Spybot and expecting a different outcome (definition of insanity!), I plan to find another software that works. It's a shame... I used to be a huge Spybot fan and recommended it to many others over the years.