Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AS+AV: off

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Okay.
    Thanks, I've set it to 60000 and the manually starting works. But I cannot recommend this programm at all because the Tray Icon does not correctly read out the status of it's own services. So EVERYTIME I start up the computer I have to go into the settings to check if "AS+AV" is really on or off. EVERYTIME SINGLE TIME! That is so much of a hassle. Then the program slows everything down. I have NEVER seen so many "Not responding" messages in my life. Wanna watch a youtube video? Firefox is going to not respond for around 30s for EVERY VIDEO!!!! Starting a program also takes forever now but at least they run without problems later.

And my graphic tablett driver NEVER loads anymore. Again this happens EVERYTIME since I have bought the home edition.

I'm sorry to hear that.
    For the scanner service needing to be started manually,the service may be taking too long to start with Windows startup and perhaps failing,and it remains off because it is set to Take No Action under the recovery section,and I believe that is by default(I don't remember changing anything with that service,at any rate.)
    You could increase the time-out further in the registry if you would like to,that may give it time to start,following the registry editing instructions above.

Or you could set the service to try again after it's first failure.If you prefer to do it that way,click the start orb,type in Services,click it,scroll down to Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service and doubleclick it,go to the Recovery tab,and under First Failure,select Restart the Service,then click Apply and OK.The service may start Automatically after logging into windows if it tries again on it's first failure,or it may not if it still runs into the time-out again,it's hard to say,but it's worth a try,if you like.

Is Spybot the only antivirus on your computer,or do you have any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    For the scanner service needing to be started manually,the service may be taking too long to start with Windows startup and perhaps failing,and it remains off because it is set to Take No Action under the recovery section,and I believe that is by default(I don't remember changing anything with that service,at any rate.)
    You could increase the time-out further in the registry if you would like to,that may give it time to start,following the registry editing instructions above.

Or you could set the service to try again after it's first failure.If you prefer to do it that way,click the start orb,type in Services,click it,scroll down to Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service and doubleclick it,go to the Recovery tab,and under First Failure,select Restart the Service,then click Apply and OK.The service may start Automatically after logging into windows if it tries again on it's first failure,or it may not if it still runs into the time-out again,it's hard to say,but it's worth a try,if you like.

Is Spybot the only antivirus on your computer,or do you have any others?
    I have just checked the setting: "First error", "Second error" and "Further errors" are ALL set to "Restart service" already.

But this would actually not help much. Because the problem now is that the tray icon lies to the user and can not be trusted and I can not fix that. If I could trust the tray icon this program would be much better.

For example: For weeks now I have checked the services status EVERY time I started the computer. They always were running. Except that ONE time a few days ago. And the tray icon pretty much ALWAYS stated that "AS + AV" is off. The services should report the current state to the tray icon and it should always display that. It has to automatically update if the status changes.

Consider the situation where the service starts with windows and the tray icon actually states the right status and suddenly after a few hours the service stopps. But the tray icon doesn't tell you about it. Imagine if your firewall would do that. "Opps, your firewall went off a few hours ago and it didn't tell you."

Another thing: the tray icon ALWAYS looks the same. There should be a different icon depending on if all services are running or not.

Also Avira which makes complete "Immunization" impossible because it blocks access to some parts of the system.
    Last edited by Kashrlyyk; 2014-09-06 at 20:55.

It's not a good idea to have two real time protections from two antivirus running at the same time.It can cause slowdowns and conflicts.
    If you have Avira Antivir and Spybot,and both Avira's real time protection and Spybot's Live Protection are running,then you should decide which real-time protection you would like to keep running,and disable the other one.

Yes,I noticed that when stopping and starting the scanner service the 'As + Av off' or 'As + AV Active' doesn't seem to update with it.I waited a few minutes the last time,and the tray icon didn't update the info.I agree with you,it ought to update,if it does not.
    I'm a Spybot user like you are,so I can't change that behaviour myself,however.
    My theory is that when you log into windows the scanner service is not starting right away,the Spybot icon then has As + Av off and doesn't update when the scanner service comes on.

Another thing: the tray icon ALWAYS looks the same. There should be a different icon depending on if all services are running or not.
    It is subtle,but I when I looked at the icon,I thought I noticed when some things are off that the icon appeared grey.I might have been imagining things,of course.

Also Avira which makes complete "Immunization" impossible because it blocks access to some parts of the system.
    Would it be the Hosts part of immunization that doesn't complete?

For the scanner service time out problem,I'm going to refer you to Spybot support.Tell them about already adjusting your registry to make the time-out longer,and other things you have tried so they know,or point them to this thread:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

Default Problem corrected via Services manager?

Re: the 'As + Av off' and grayed Spybot tray icon issue, rather than edit the registry or uninstall one of my other malware programs, I've opted for adjusting when the Spybot scanner service loads, using Services manager accessed via the Task Manager services tab 'services' button. From within this Services manager, I right-clicked on Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service, selected Properties, and changed Startup type from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start). Doing this appears to have corrected the conflict. I'm running Win7 64 bit.

Good solution,thanks for posting.

Default Problem corrected via Services manager?

Hi everyone,

I am also having this issue of "AS+AV: off". I have two questions related to the matter.

Question 1: The first question has an easy answer, although I don't know what it is. If AS (that means anti-spyware, right?) and AV (and that means antivirus, right?) are off, then what are the consequences of that? I know that this is a silly question, and I should know the answer to it, but I don't.

Question 2: The second question is rather more complicated. I used the method suggested by ann000 of changing the Startup type from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start). That solved the problem on my computer profile having full administrator rights -- now the Spybot icon in my system tray shows "AS+AV: active". But it did not solve the problem on my restricted-access computer profile. When I am logged in on that profile, the Spybot icon in my system tray shows "AS+AV: off". So, here is my question: Does my computer have "AS" and "AV" (whatever this means, see Question 1 above), or does it not?

Thank you.

Stanley

Question 1: The first question has an easy answer, although I don't know what it is. If AS (that means anti-spyware, right?) and AV (and that means antivirus, right?) are off, then what are the consequences of that? I know that this is a silly question, and I should know the answer to it, but I don't.
    Not a silly question,because I've never been entirely sure what the consequences were myself.
    In order for AS + AV to show as active,the scanner service needs to be running.
    And the description for the scanner service is:
    System service responsible for scanning single files during on-access or custom demand scans, as well as internet connections.
    So,I assume AS + AV is needed for on-access and custom demand scans.(The mention of internet scans: the scanner service needs to be running for the Spybot proxy to work,so I'll leave that separate,though that might be part of the whole as + av thing as well.)
    This is the webopedia definition of an on access scanner:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/on_access_scanner.html

Logging into my standard user account,I checked and the Spybot scanner service did show as having started under Services.msc,but I didn't appear to have the rights to stop or start the service.AS + AV showed as active in the Spybot tray icon.
    Does my computer have "AS" and "AV" (whatever this means, see Question 1 above), or does it not?
    Looks like the scanner service is starting on your administrator account now that you set it to delayed start,but not on your limited account.
    So,you could log in to your limited account,and then open Spybot start center,then click Settings.You will likely be prompted by UAC requesting a password,(as long as your limited account isn't set not to notify,in which case I believe Settings would just fail to open.),fill in the password and when Settings opens,click the System Services tab,then attempt to start the scanner service,and see if you're given an error,and if so,post it here so I can try to find it.

As for Windows Defender,that is anti-malware in Windows 7,not anti-malware and anti-virus,so no,you should be fine leaving Windows Defender enabled,along with Spybot Home Edition,if you wish to.You might occasionally be prompted about something at the same time if anything is encountered by both,but that isn't too hard to deal with.

Hi Zenobia,

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I now understand that the scanner service scans files for viruses and malware, either continuously or on demand.

Also, I am glad to know that I can keep Windows Defender enabled -- I don't have to start additional tinkering.

Stanley

You're welcome.

I now understand that the scanner service scans files for viruses and malware, either continuously or on demand.
    I'll qualify that with a maybe,since I'm not 100% sure myself,but I believe so,yes.