Thread: "Unusual traffic from your computer network" - Google Chrome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Unusual traffic from your computer network" - Google Chrome

Hi everyone, first time poster here! I hope this is the right place to post this thread.

I stupidly installed a program called Yet Another Cleaner from download.com recently, and later I removed it with AdwCleaner. The reason I say 'stupidly' is because the program that was marketed as anti-adware was actually malware. I took care of it, but now I've got this strange message that appears every once in a while saying "We’re sorry but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can’t process your request right now. To continue searching, please type the characters you see below”, and requires me to enter a CAPTCHA code.

I've felt like I've used everything, from Spybot to Malware Bytes and CCleaner and I still get this now and again. Please help?

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Hi and welcome

please follow shelf
    Last edited by Juliet; 2014-07-23 at 00:00. Reason: ut oh my bad, will edit and remove
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Emeritus

hi Davis7387,

"Unusual" traffic is never a good term to hear. One quick test you can try is after you boot up your machine dont use chrome, instead bring up task manager by hitting ctrl-alt-delete keys to start task manager.

Under the process tab see if you see any browsers running: Chrome.exe, iexplore.exe or firefox.exe. If so then something is launching them in the background. Could be some other chatty process also and not a browser.

In any case since we have to start somewhere get a copy of the free version of Malwarebytes and we will start there. These directions are old as the MBAM gui has changed but you should be able to download, update, scan and post a copy of the results:

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes to your desktop.

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.
    When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click *Remove Selected.*

*A restart of your computer may be required to remove some items. If prompted please restart your computer to complete the fix.*

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt
    Post the log in your reply.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Thanks shelf life, but it seems that I've taken care of the problem - last night I downloaded Hitman Pro and ran a scam that removed a few suspicious files. I've searching on Google Chrome all day and haven't received that message since.

Having said that, can I ask why would I need to download a free trial version of Malware Bytes if I already have a paid copy of the premium edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Davis7387 View Post
    Thanks shelf life, but it seems that I've taken care of the problem - last night I downloaded Hitman Pro and ran a scam that removed a few suspicious files. I've searching on Google Chrome all day and haven't received that message since.

Having said that, can I ask why would I need to download a free trial version of Malwarebytes if I already have a paid copy of the premium edition?
    Scrap that, I spoke too soon. The annoying message is suddenly appearing again. >:(

Running a full scan on Malwarebytes right now.

This is annoying - Malwarebytes didn't pick up anything.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 23/07/2014
    Scan Time: 10:14:16 PM
    Logfile: 1.txt
    Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012
    Malware Database: v2014.07.23.03
    Rootkit Database: v2014.07.17.01
    License: Premium
    Malware Protection: Enabled
    Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
    Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
    File System: NTFS
    User: David

Scan Type: Threat Scan
    Result: Completed
    Objects Scanned: 373703
    Time Elapsed: 19 min, 11 sec

Memory: Enabled
    Startup: Enabled
    Filesystem: Enabled
    Archives: Enabled
    Rootkits: Enabled
    Heuristics: Enabled
    PUP: Warn
    PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

Any other suggestions?

Emeritus

hi,

why would I need to download a free trial version of Malware Bytes if I already have a paid copy of the premium edition?
    Because I couldnt tell you already had a copy, no logs posted. I usually suggest the free version for two reasons, its very good at removing malware and it can be kept and used.

Lets get two downloads and see what they can drag up.

Both these directions below were copy/pasted from here. about half way down the page.

Instruction for producing the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and aswMBR logs

Farbar Log

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ery-scan-tool/

Note:
    You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

(A simple way to check your system: Start --> Computer (right click) --> Properties
    How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system

Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    Press Scan button.
    It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    Please copy and paste log back here.
    The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

aswMBR Log

Important! Please do NOT perform any fix options offered in aswMBR, we just need to see the report.

Please download aswMBR to your desktop.

link: http://public.avast.com/%7Egmerek/aswMBR.exe

Double click the aswMBR icon to run it.
    If a prompt stating: The computer supports "Virtualization Technology" appears select Yes
    Click the Scan button to start scan.
    If you are asked to update the Avast Virus database please allow it to do so.
    When it finishes, press the Save Log button, save the logfile to your desktop and post its contents in your reply with the Farbar (FRST) log.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?