Thread: simple Question: Settings | Live protection | decisions -- what's it for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default simple Question: Settings | Live protection | decisions -- what's it for?

Hi everyone
    Sorry, did not find anything about it, so I need to ask:

I have a table there (see title) and it seems to remain empty, although some programs obviously get tested for virusses at runtime (taking fairly long btw.).
    A small notice appears at the lower right corner.

What triggers an entry?
    Will live protection use these entries as a whitelist when I run such programs a second time?

or am I totally misunderstanding the whole thing?

I'd be happy if someone could shed a little light.
    running SpyBot - Search & Destroy + AV 2.4.40 (Prof.) on Win 7 SP1 /64
    usually on Admin privileges (yeah, no so smart, I know )

I've never had anything in Decisions,but I would assume it is the options for allowed,blocked or quarantined files:
    Quote Originally Posted by spybot help
    Live Protection
    A user is able to install the Live Protection here and to select the type of monitoring. Additionally there are options for allowed, blocked or quarantined files.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    ... I would assume it is the options for allowed,blocked or quarantined files:
    Well, Zenobia - though I thank you for answering, your words do not actually make matters clearer to me.
    I had already read the help file (first thing I did), and your answer is just a literal quote thereof. The help file is too terse on this topic and so is you reply.

Let me try again, hoping you're still willing to help:

1. Do I correctly understand that allowed, quarantined and blocked files get listed there, according to the outcome of the scan (live AV protection)?
    2. If so, why does this table never receive any entries, even though scans of some programs I invoke, clearly happen, and greatly delay their execution? (feature not yet fully implemented?)
    3. Once I do get entries there, will Spybot make use of its prior asessments and so speed up, (or block) the execution of listed programs?
    4. Would this table also be the place where the user can override Spybot's "decisions"?

I hope my questions are clearer this time and can be answered.
    Thank your willingness!

As I said,I don't have anything in Decisions yet.So,basically,your guess is as good as mine,since the only thing I have to go by is the help file.

So these are somewhat of a guess,but:
    1.Yes,allowed, quarantined and blocked files would get listed there.
    2.I assume that entries get listed in the table after they are flagged as bad by Spybot's live protection,and Live Protection asks if you want to Allow,Block or Quarantine whatever was flagged as bad.
    3.Yes,I believe it will either block or allow prior decisions listed there,according to what you chose to do.
    4.Yes,I think this table is mainly what the decisions tab is for.If Live Protection flags something,and you decide to allow,block or quarantine it,and later change your mind,you could adjust how Spybot reacts to it,for example if you let Spybot block something it flagged and later found out it was a false positive,you could go in and Allow the program or process it flagged.

In short,I don't believe Live Protection prompts you on everything it scans.I believe it would probably only prompt you if something it's scanning is either bad or unknown.That would be why you don't have anything listed in there,Live Protection just never happened to encounter anything malicious or unknown yet.However,if Live Protection encounters iexpore.exe(just for an example),Live Protection would scan it,decide it's ok,not prompt you,then it would scan iexpore.exe when it encounters it again,and it does not get listed under the decisions tab.
    The decisions table is a place where you can adjust the decisions you made after getting a prompt from Live Protection,but not everything scanned would be listed there.

Thanks again, Zenobia,
    I guess this is as far as we can get at the moment.
    Let's hope, that the devs will pass some more information onto the users sooner or later.
    I'll keep an eye on this, and try to find out more about the feature.
    Can you point me to some other documentation (apart from the help file), where I could read moe about it?
    In case you can't, don't bother to reply. There's enough work for you anyhow

again my thanks
    Wolf_

You're welcome.
    I've been curious and meaning to get something into decisions to see what happens and what can be done with it,but I keep forgetting to do it,unfortunately.That's a plan for a rainy Sunday or something like that,I guess.

Yes,there are a couple of links about Live Protection on the website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...imer-resident/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/live-protection/
    This one is about the anti-virus in general,but Live Protection is mentioned:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/full...us-protection/
    This one is mainly about compatibility:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...nt-protection/