Thread: Sb s&d 2.3

Default Sb s&d 2.3

I have been using SB S&D 1.6.2 for a very long time. I got a pop-up tonight about upgrading to version 2.3. But it also mentions that it has anti-virus feature now.
    I already have an AntiVirus program installed and was told I should only have one AV program installed.
    #1- Will the Anti Virus feature of this new SB S&D 2.3 interfere with my already installed AV program?
    #2- If/when I install the new SB S&D 2.3, do I download an exe file and then click on that exe file and it will over-write my current 1.6.2 version and save all my preferences?
    #3- Or do I have to uninstall my 1.6.2 version?
    Vista also Win7 (64-Bit) IE 9; MSE; SpywareBlaster; MalwareBytes; SpyBot

The antivirus doesn't come with Spybot 2.4 automatically.The anti-virus comes with the paid editions of Spybot 2.4:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/private/compare/
    Or,users that buy the Spybot + antivirus editions can disable Live Protection if they prefer,if they already have an antivirus installed.

No,Spybot 2.4 will not overwrite Spybot 1.6.2.
    Spybot 1.6.2 is installed to the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder in Program Files by default,and Spybot 2.4 is installed to the Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 folder in Program Files by default.
    Having both installed on the same computer at the same time would be noisy,hectic and (in my own opinion) probably not a good idea.

When you download the Spybot 2.4 setup file,it should ask if you would like to uninstall Spybot 1.6.2,and if you answer yes it will uninstall it for you.

However,I know that you prefer Spybot 1.6.2.
    Unless the pop-up stated otherwise,Spybot 1.6.2 is still offered on the download page and appears to still be supported,so if you wish to stay with Spybot 1.6.2,you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    The antivirus doesn't come with Spybot 2.4 automatically.The anti-virus comes with the paid editions of Spybot 2.4:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/private/compare/
    Or,users that buy the Spybot + antivirus editions can disable Live Protection if they prefer,if they already have an antivirus installed.

No,Spybot 2.4 will not overwrite Spybot 1.6.2.
    Spybot 1.6.2 is installed to the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder in Program Files by default,and Spybot 2.4 is installed to the Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 folder in Program Files by default.
    Having both installed on the same computer at the same time would be noisy,hectic and (in my own opinion) probably not a good idea.

When you download the Spybot 2.4 setup file,it should ask if you would like to uninstall Spybot 1.6.2,and if you answer yes it will uninstall it for you.

However,I know that you prefer Spybot 1.6.2.
    Unless the pop-up stated otherwise,Spybot 1.6.2 is still offered on the download page and appears to still be supported,so if you wish to stay with Spybot 1.6.2,you can.
    Thank you. I will leave 1.6.2 on my Win7 for the time being. However, I have been advised to get rid of SB SD because of poor reviews. I will have to think about that...
    Vista also Win7 (64-Bit) IE 9; MSE; SpywareBlaster; MalwareBytes; SpyBot

You're welcome.

I did see some bad reviews of Spybot,which was quite awhile ago now(a couple of months to a year ago.)
    I originally got my first computer in 2004,vaguely thought to myself that I think I need an antivirus,then got one through my internet provider.I didn't really even know what spyware/malware was,and didn't have anything for it.
    It was a pretty good antivirus,but my computer quickly became almost unusable due to malware(and I don't say that lightly,it was a mess!),so I set out to find something that was anti-malware to help.I snubbed it at first,but eventually I went with Spybot 1.2,and that is the only thing that worked.
    So,fast forward to many years later,and I saw some of the bad reviews.And I thought to myself"Well,maybe it is terrible.Maybe I'm just attached to Spybot because I'm so familiar with it,and I'm remembering how it was when I got my first computer."
    So,I tried to look at it objectively.

I've had 3 computers since 2004.I haven't had any kind of major infection since then,no matter what version of Spybot I had.Spybot has immunization,etc.,and it was my main anti-spyware program through those years.Prevention is part of it,so that was a tickmark in the "keep Spybot" category.
    I did have one PUP I installed myself,which I decided I'd keep for a bit,but since it did turn out to be annoying,I let Spybot remove it,which it did easily.It's not the programs fault I haven't been infected,but what I did have for it to remove worked,so that was a tickmark in the "keep Spybot" category.

So,to make a long(er story than I intended to post) shorter,I decided to take any bad reviews I saw into consideration,but until I saw evidence of bad performance myself,I was keeping it,so long as I was happy with it.
    That was my take on the matter,anyways,if that helps you for making a decision any,of course I'm just one person,what you decide is up to you.

Default Sb s&d 2.3

Hello,
    Thanks for this question Alicze and the response by Zenobia.
    I too wondered about that message when I did updates today.
    I have Spybot 1.6.2.46 because I don't want to give up SD Resident &Teatimer.
    To me, it is invaluable to know when a random registry change appears or some weird program tries to start.
    If I am not installing or updating a program I simply deny registry changes
    Frank C
    Frank C
    Spybot 2.5
    Windows 10