Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fix Selected not working

Yes,C:\$Recycle Bin\ is hidden by default.
    Access is usually denied if you try to open the S-1-5-18(will be similar,but not exactly named on anybody else's computer,for anybody else reading this)That folder is a normal part of windows,so you shouldn't attempt to remove those folders if you find them,virusvictim.What could be happening is that probably the path to the malware is showing partially within Spybot,and the actual malware may likely be in the recycle bin.It's also possible the malware is in another account's recycle bin,if you have more than one account on your computer.If you don't store anything important within the recycle bin,you could try emptying your recycle bin.Let me know if that helps any,please.

I did not know that some things are NOT preselected and that I have to select them separately so that could be my problem with the system hanging.
    Usually,everything is pre-selected by default,but sometimes if you uncheck some things after a scan,Spybot seems to remember it,or some variation of that.
    Some other things that I've noticed seem to help along "Fix Selected":
    shut down any non-essential things running before a Spybot scan.
    if a large amount of items are found during the scan,uncheck a few things to be fixed,press fix selected,then rescan for the rest later.
    Cut out scanning for tracks temporarily:Open Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Settings,click the Categories tab,then somewhere within the window,rightclick and select Spyware scan only.

Default Thanks

Thanks Zenobia I will follow your instructions. Can you say what you mean by a "large amount". Usually I get less than 50 hits would you consider that a large amount?
    I will keep on with this and post back here if I find anything. I am currently scanning the system with the Microsoft Malicious Software Tool but that will take some time.

Thanks again
    John (OldGit66)

Default More Info

Hi,
    to rule out any problems due to Malware I have to report that Todays Malwarebytes scan detected nothing. Also I ran a full scan with Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (18+hours c5m files scanned) and no malware was detected.

I will continue observing and report back here.

john (OldGit66)

No,50 isn't a lot.

Default Ok

OK thanks zenobia. No further problems to report after several runs working ok.

John

Okay,good.

Default More Problems

Hi I ran a scan and got 30 hits mainly Tracker cookies, browser cookies and Browser cache. This time I checked that all 30 has been selected (black tick) and clicked fix selected. After 10 minutes nothing had happened with the explorer blue circle showing that the program was still running. Some time later the blue circle had stopped but there were no green ticks beside the hits so I clicked fix selected again. This time after 20 minutes the green ticks appeared on all the hits that were on the screen but the blue circle was still running. I could not check the off screen hits as the up and down page was not working. Then the Windows programme not responding offered the chance to close the programme and I did. I found this in Problems and sloutions
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005
    Application Timestamp: 49e01da5
    Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.19070
    Fault Module Timestamp: 533183ed
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0003f2b0
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 246040039

I do not know if this helps to typify the fault but I will continue to report here if anything else happens.

Thanks
    John

This is some info for you with whatever I found with the info provided with the appcrash.I know it doesn't give the reason why there's a crash when Fix Selected is pressed,but it is some info in any case.
    Exception Code: c0000005 should be the code for an access violation.The gist of what I'm seeing is that a program is accessing (either reading or writing) a memory address to which it does not have rights.

This is info on the faulting module name and what it is:
    http://process.iamnotageek.com/Shell32.dll.php
    I'll post that just for the info provided about Shell32.dll on the page,so you can see what it is.Please don't remove it or anything like that,it's a necessary file.

Default More Info

Hi Zenobia thanks for that but you are quite right I have not been able to figure out how I got an appcrash.

Tonight i ran another scan and got 28 hits all of them preselected. When I checked fix selected it took about 15 minutes and finally I got the green ticks ok. But when I tried to red x the results screen it would not be exited, eventually Windows allowed me to force close that problem. Something is wrong with this version it does not behave reliably.

Thanks zenobia
    John

p.s. here is the problem and solutions page report

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: SDScan.exe
    Application Version: 2.4.40.181
    Application Timestamp: 535a5179
    Hang Signature: 8cb2
    Hang Type: 0
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 3c4f
    Additional Hang Signature 3: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 8cb2
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 3c4f
    Additional Hang Signature 7: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 106416380
    Last edited by OldGit66; 2015-03-12 at 23:57.

That shows that SDScan.exe hung.SDScan.exe is the Spybot Scanner itself.

I'm not able to decipher the other info,as that appears it might be program specific,and there is no other available information on Google:
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 3c4f
    Additional Hang Signature 3: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 8cb2
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 3c4f
    Additional Hang Signature 7: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff
    Since this is happening sometimes,and other times not,I was wondering if you would be willing to do the next couple of scans in safe mode.There are instructions here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ll=1#post23629
    Since safe mode cuts out most programs that start with windows,if Spybot still acts up when fixing selected problems,that would (most likely) rule out any problems with any other heavy-duty programs running when you're scanning,etc.No need to run a special scan,just run a scan at the normal time you usually would,only run the scan in safe mode,that will give time for some stuff that needs to be fixed to build up.That should,hopefully,cut to the chase,and it will be easier to know where to go from there.