Thread: Multiple Spybot-like registry entries after un-install: Malware? My bad?

Exclamation Multiple Spybot-like registry entries after un-install: Malware? My bad?

Hello and thanks in advance...

System details below
    These 'entries' are in my registry along with about 60 others, quite similar.
    I have, probably improperly, uninstalled Spybot 1.6.2 and SpybotSD2.
    I wish to re-install 1.6.2 and use it.
    I THINK that I should re-install/un-install each to clear up these entries BUT I am not sure. Please advise?

spybot.ca
    spy-bot.com
    spy-bot.net
    spybot2007.com
    spybot-2007.com
    spybotblaster.com
    spybotcom.com
    spybot-d0wnload.com
    spybot-d0wnloads.com
    spybot-download.com
    spybotdownload.org
    spybotdownload-now.com
    spybot-free.com
    spybot-free-scan.com
    spybot-ib.com
    spybot-now.com
    spybotremover.net
    spybot-scan.com
    spybot-sd.net
    spybot-sd-info.com
    spybotsearch.com
    spybotsearch-full.info
    spybot-search-n-destroy.com

OS Name:*Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version: *6.1.7600 Build 7600
    TOSHIBA *Satellite U505 *X86-based PC
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU ******
    T4400 *@ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date *American Megatrends Inc. 2.30, 11/27/2009
    SMBIOS Version *2.5
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) *4.00 GB

If those registry entries are located at:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
    Or located:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
    with a Dword value of 4,they are likely leftover immunization entries from Spybot.If they have the value of 4,they aren't harmful,that puts the sites into Internet Explorer's restricted sites zone.

This is instructions for making a script,but it also explains along about why someone would want to put certain sites in the restricted sites zone,so.....:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscript...ites-zone.aspx

I didn't go through the complete list you posted,but I checked in my own registry,and I have the same sites in the s section(I checked the first 10 you listed,at least),so looks like that is likely what those are.

I wish to re-install 1.6.2 and use it.
    I THINK that I should re-install/un-install each to clear up these entries BUT I am not sure. Please advise?
    If those are part of the sites added by Spybot,they would be removed if you installed Spybot and unimmunized.But since you're planning to re-install Spybot 1.6.2 and use it,there really isn't a need to.You'd just need to Immunize after you download/set-up Spybot 1.6.2,if there are immunized items missing(if you plan on immunizing that is).

The Spybot 1.6.2 link is listed under Other downloads:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Thumbs up Ah So! Pre-emptive immunization is the source!

Thanks very much, Zenobia, for the clarity and rapidity of your assistance.. I'm much more comfortable and at ease knowing that most, if not all, of my concerns were about 'Situation Normal' This crown is for you... didn't see a Tiara!!

Jim Harmon
    Palm Springs, CA USA

P.S.
    I consider my problems resolved - no need for further assistance on this issue.
    Last edited by Jim Harmon; 2014-08-16 at 15:20. Reason: Added the post script

You're welcome.
    Thanks for the crown.(I'll start a forum protest march to demand a tiara,hehe!)