Thread: Purchesed SpyBot, it failed, just reinstalled Win8

Default Purchesed SpyBot, it failed, just reinstalled Win8

I've been using SpyBot for about 6 months time without problems. Within the last week I began getting popup ads at frequently used websites and notices about viruses and excessive popup adds. I used SpyBot to scan the computer a few times but still had the same problem. I found I could not use the recovery image I had created because I need something that will open the file. I tried using the Win8 disk and saving the files I had, but this failed and it put the earlier Win8 OS back in. The last Win8 install was a straight format and install which worked fine and was possibly safer. I have backups of pics and documents still to be put in. SpyBot is reasonably priced but it failed and the internet surely needs more protection, I receive e mail with copies of my banks website asking personal info not issued by my bank, The Microsoft logo is copied by many people so it's also a problem of who you can trust for help.
    Thanks for your efforts
    Carl
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-08-19 at 17:10. Reason: Moved from Requests for additions to Spybot's detections

Hello Carl2,

Sorry to hear of the problem, unfortunately it's not always possible for one software to give umbrella protection against constantly evolving malware in all its different forms.

Which version of Spybot do you have: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

If you have other security programs installed please list them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    I receive e mail with copies of my banks website asking personal info not issued by my bank, The Microsoft logo is copied by many people so it's also a problem of who you can trust for help.
    By which method do you open them, any attachments or links that have been clicked on?

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-08-19 at 17:28. Reason: clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I realize the problems involved, I had the Home user installed, earlier I had used windows defender with the OS. After installing spybot windows defender was turned off while spybot was turned on so no other security was involved. Probably should have stopped in at this forum before a reinstall of windows but I went for a quick sure fix of just reinstalling windows. It is being used in a desktop, SSD, with other drives I use to put copies of pics and documents on.
    Carl