Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Incomplete immunization - Internet Explorer 32 Bit Software Domains

Good,glad to hear Internet Explorer (32 bit) SOFTWARE (Domains) immunized.
    If you wouldn't mind,please go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains and click on a couple of sites listed below,that look like they would belong to Spybot,and make sure they have a Dword Value of 4.That puts them into the Restricted Zone in Internet Explorer.

Gee, I'm somewhat sad that the problem appears to be solved. I learned some new things, which I always enjoy and I enjoyed our correspondence. Please don't take that the wrong way, I do have a life.
    Me,too.You had a somewhat more difficult problem to deal with,and you followed along and did everything excellently.

Do you know or suspect how that section of the registry became messed up or corrupted? I assume the problem was the result of a program making changes to the registry, since Karen has never changed the registry directly. We didn't have this problem when using Spybot 1.6. The problem started when we updated to Spybot 2.4 and used 2.4 for the first time. Therefore, could the problem be related to the Spybot update?
    That was in the back of my mind,actually.I'll check with you that the computer seems okay,otherwise,no apparent problems with it?
    Other than that,no,I don't know what could have caused the problem for sure.Perhaps it was a problem with immunization that went unnoticed between Spybot 1.6 and 2.4,perhaps something went wrong,or perhaps it was another program,or maybe it was just one of those things that happen for no known reason,but those are all just guesses on my part.

This is a description of the Creator Owner group,you might have to scroll down a little bit until you see Table 6.3:
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=raOt...=0CCcQ6AEwATgK
    The special permissions for Domains is all permissions available(Full Control),but on subkeys only.You can view the permissions if you go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains,rightclick and select Permissions,click the Advanced Tab,then on the Permissions tab click on Creator Owner,then click Edit,and a box will come up showing you the full list of permissions.The checkmarks will likely be greyed out,that's normal.

I'm a volunteer.I'm not 100% sure on the others,but I think most or all of them are volunteers as well.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2014-08-28 at 07:43.

Hello Zenobia:

I look in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains folder for any file that contained Spybot in the folder name. I found 28 such folders. Each folder included a dword value of 4. An image of the Domains folders with Spybot in the name is attached. I wonder if some of these Spybot files are leftover from previous versions of Spybot and are no longer needed. If so, perhaps a good registry cleaner can determine which folders can be safely removed.

Karen has used the computer since Spybot immunization was completed to surf the net and create an Excel spreadsheet. So far the computer appears to be working OK.

Thank you for the link to information about the Creator Owner user. I found some information on the net. However, the information either didn’t cover my interest or the information was at odds with what someone else had typed. I was amused by the Group Policy Result Tool. If an operating system is so complicated that a special program is needed for someone to determine what policies will be applied when a user logs in, then maybe it’s time for a new, hopefully more straight forward operating system.

Sorry to hear you are a volunteer and therefore not getting paid for all the hours you spend helping people. I hope it is at least a labor of love.

Now that the immunization problem is solved, I would like to turn your attention to a minor Spybot inconvenience. Should this be a new thread?

After I installed Spybot 2.4 on both computers, I clicked on the Settings Icon, then the Internet Protection tab, and checked the “Use Spybot proxy” check box. As expected, website pages take more time to load and email programs take longer to download and send emails. It also takes longer to update email files. The time require to load website pages is 2 to 3 times longer with the Spybot proxy in service. The slowdown is noticeable but tolerable. The exception is Microsoft Outlook on my computer. I have 4 active email addresses in Outlook. One address receives work emails from the office servers via Microsoft Exchange. Prior to implementing the proxy, it took about 20 seconds after clicking the “Send receive all folders” button to receive the “All folders are up to date” message. With the proxy running it takes almost 4 minutes to complete the same operation. This is more than a tenfold slowdown. Karen’s Thunderbird email program is only 2 to 3 times slower with the proxy operating by comparison.

Do you know why the proxy slows down Outlook so much more than other programs? More importantly, do you have any suggestions for speeding up Outlook when the proxy is running?

Domains Spybot files.JPG

I meant sites that looked like they would belong to spybot immunization,not speciifically containing the Spybot name.The reason I asked was I wanted to see if the sites were added to the registry with a dword value of 4 so I knew that immunization went ok,and none of the former sites listed that couldn't be removed before changing permissions were left behind under Domains.Sorry for the confusion.
    The sites in your attachment are all part of Spybot immunization,and are supposed to be there.

Glad to hear the computer's working good.

Spybot's my favorite antimalware program,and I love helping people here when I can,so volunteer is a good thing.

No,it's okay to stay in this thread,no new one needed.
    The Spybot proxy used to be enabled by default.I saw that a few people on the forums had some problems with it(some had slowdowns,some sometimes had troubles reaching certain websites,etc.)After that,the proxy was no longer enabled by default,but anybody can enable it if they wish to.Since you're having some slowdown problems,you might want to consider disabling the Spybot proxy.

I'm not overly familiar with Microsoft Outlook,so please look to see if what I post applies to you.
    If you prefer to keep Spybot proxy enabled,you could look into Cached Exchange Mode,if that isn't already turned on.That might not be ideal,but it's something you could have a look at.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...in=HA102809573
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/ou...001000067.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...102809573.aspx
    (I went to an Outlook 2013 page,you may have a different version)

Hello Zenobia:

I did check other folders in the Domains folder and all the folders I audited had a dword value of 4. I will guess that Spybot does not report that all sites are immunized unless all the folders in the Domains folder have a dword value of 4.

The Cached Exchange Mode check box is already checked, but thanks for the suggestion.

The other thing I have noticed is sometimes when I try to add or change an Outlook rule for sorting email I receive an error message that the computer isn't connected to Microsoft exchange. If I keep trying, usually in 2 to 3 additional attempts to create or modify the rule the rule creation popup box will finally appear rather than the error message. Also before using the proxy, during the email downloading process the words "connected to Microsoft Exchange" were always shown in the bottom right corner of the screen. With the proxy running the words keep switching between "connected to Microsoft Exchange" and "trying to connect" Most of the time the "trying to connect" message is present. My impression is that with the proxy running the computer is only intermittently connected to Microsoft Exchange rather than constantly connected. This may explain why my work emails are so slow to download and upload. However, the other 3 personal email accounts receive and send emails through my internet service provider which doesn't utilize Microsoft Exchange, but these email accounts are also an order of magnitude slower with the proxy running. Everything works, although repeated attempts may be required to get something to work. If it becomes too annoying I can always disable the proxy.

Yup,a dword value of four is what I was looking for.Good.

Yes,it might be a good idea to disable the proxy due to the slowdowns,etc.,though it's up to you,of course.