Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot freezes

Default Spybot freezes

2.pngI have used spybot with no problems, i did a scan today and it completed the scan then instead of going to the removal screen it flipped the scan screen again ,,,progress says estimated time left 324 minutes. and it is frozen there.
    If i go to task manager it says "malware scanner not responding"
    I removed spybot with revo uninstaller which removes all traces and reinstalled spybot and did a complete scan, results were the same as above
    Screen shots show the task manager and the screen that comes up after a scan and freezes there
    Last edited by alrose; 2014-09-03 at 23:40. Reason: add screen shots

Default Addition to my previous post

Team spybot sent me an updated version, i uninstalled the old one and installed the new one, but same results, it does a complete scan but freezes after it switches to another scan page that says "scanning" 500 odd minutes left, and there it is frozen.
    I tried a scan in safe mode but same results, the task manager says malware scanner not responding 32 bit, i have a 64 bit system but i have used spybot before with no probs
    So it seems i cannot use spybot for some unknown reason

I did a scan to see what was scanned at the end,but with 5 minutes left was distracted and missed if it flipped to another scan page or not.
    I did catch after the countdown at the end that it was scanning Firefox and Internet Explorer's bookmarks,etc.Have you cleared your browsers cache lately?Maybe that would help.

I constantly clear cache,several times a day, i just did another scan,same thing,

Okay,that shouldn't be it,then.

No worries on the 64-bit,Spybot is compatible with it.With only some exceptions,32-bit programs can run on 64-bit computers.You can see some more here under 'Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?'
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...#1TC=windows-7
    And here's the compatibility page:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/about/compatibility/

Just a couple thoughts I'd like to ask about.They seem kind of pointless,but there's method to my madness:
    The date of your first post is last Wednesday,is that the day it started looping(switching to a different screen) and then freezing?Do you remember if you updated that day,or is Spybot set up to download updates automatically?
    Did it start doing that suddenly,or did you make any changes within Spybot itself,like adding in a download directory,or anything like that?
    Which edition of Spybot do you have,Free,Home or Pro edition?

I have the free edition, it is an updated one sent to me from team spybot, but before that the one i had, i have had for a while and used it numerous times before the freezing started.
    Before i use spybot i always check for updates, i haven't touched anything inside spybot, i use it as it comes and just update then scan.
    I wouldn't say it happened the day of my first post, i am sure i tried it a time or two and then realized it was freezing all the time and then thats when i came here,if i remember right , i uninstalled and reinstalled to see if that would make any difference.
    So ,,the one i had freezes and also the one team spybot sent me also freezes
    Sometimes it switches to the scan screen after a scan completes i mentioned,, and the odd time to the results screen, both screen freeze

Ok,thanks.
    You already did a scan in safe mode,so you could skip 1 and 2:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ring-the-scan/
    Try 3 to 5,and see if anything helps.

Hi Zenobia, i did step 3 and scanned, it froze when finished, i then did step 5 and scanned, froze again, i turned off my security ( windows defender) and scanned, still froze when finished

Step 4 is for temporary files.Spybot usually says it's detected x many temp files on the system scan page if there are too many.I don't currently have enough temp files to see that,but if I'm remembering this right you may not see that if you're running a scan and it's freezing.Those temporary files are in a different location than temporary internet files.You could try that,also.This page shows how to clear them:
    http://howto.corel.com/index.php/Cus...ang=en&kb=true

4rt.PNGHi Zenobia. i did as the page said from the link you gave, i wish i could say SPY B worked, but it was the same, after 3 scans, each time SPY B froze when it finished.
    It goes to the results screen, but from there i cannot delete the results,
    Last edited by alrose; 2014-09-13 at 04:09. Reason: including screenshot