Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible infection Spybot can't remove

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Nightwingsgurl,

Those programs were outdated. It is important to have the current version of all software installed. Outdated versions can contain vulnerabilities that can be exploited by the "bad guys".

=========================

FRST Fix Script

Open notepad. Please copy the contents of the code box below. To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it. Paste this into the open notepad. Save it on the desktop as fixlist.txt

Code:
    Start
    CHR HKCU\...\Chrome\Extension: [apjkpjchfbckhjhokinlgdbmibpbbjak] - C:\Users\Imari\AppData\Local\CRE\apjkpjchfbckhjhokinlgdbmibpbbjak.crx []
    End
    NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
    The tool will make a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

=========================

In your next post please provide the following:
    • Fixlog.txt
    • Any remaining issues?
    OCD
    ----------
    Graduate of WTT Classroom
    Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
    The tool will make a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 12-09-2014
    Ran by Imari at 2014-09-21 12:45:26 Run:3
    Running from C:\Users\Imari\Desktop
    Boot Mode: Normal
    ==============================================

Content of fixlist:
    Start
    CHR HKCU\...\Chrome\Extension: [apjkpjchfbckhjhokinlgdbmibpbbjak] - C:\Users\Imari\AppData\Local\CRE\apjkpjchfbckhjhokinlgdbmibpbbjak.crx []
    End

"HKCU\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\apjkpjchfbckhjhokinlgdbmibpbbjak" => Key deleted successfully.
    "C:\Users\Imari\AppData\Local\CRE\apjkpjchfbckhjhokinlgdbmibpbbjak.crx" => File/Directory not found.

==== End of Fixlog ====

I'm not noticing any other issues right now. My PC is running quickly, and Google seems to be behaving.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Nightwingsgurl,

Your log appears to be clean.
    We have a few items to take care of before we get to the All Clean Speech.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Remove Disinfection Tools

• Download Delfix
    • Tick the following boxes:
      • Remove disinfection tools
      • Create registry backup
      • Purge system restore

• Click Run
    • Any other tools and files found can simply be deleted or uninstall via the Control Panel.

With the above items taken care of let's move on to the All Clean part of the process.

The following procedures are recommendations for helping to keep your system running smoothly. If you are currently satisfied with how your system is running some or all of these may not pertain to you. Implement what you need.

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate windows and frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Make your Mozilla Firefox more secure - This can be done by adding these add-ons:

Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

Free Anti-Virus

Free Firewall
    Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here.

Be prepared for CryptoLocker:

Cryptolocker Ransomware: What You Need To Know
    CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program:

CryptoPrevent install this program to lock down and prevent crypto-ransomeware

COMPUTER SECURITY - a short guide to staying safer online

WOT Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.
    • Green should be good to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop

P2P may be a great way to get lots of stuffs, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well.

Please read these short reports on the dangers of peer-2-peer programs and file sharing.

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current.
    • Windows XP:
      Microsoft will no longer offer support for Windows XP beginning on April 8, 2014
      If you are running Windows XP, please take the time to read the information provided at these links.
    • Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems.
    • Window 8 Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.

Without these you are leaving the back door open.

Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Your log appears to be clean.
    Sweet! Thank you!

Use and update an anti-virus software[/b][/color] - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

Free Anti-Virus
    I downloaded Ad-Aware. Just checking-- I need to delete Windows Security Essentials, right?

Free Firewall
    Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here.

I already have Windows Firewall. Should I delete it to use one of these, do you think, or just leave it as it is?

I couldn't find those options, but it's installed with default settings.

Oh.... Ad-Aware says it can do a compatible install to run as a second line of defense, so I didn't know about WSE.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Nightwingsgurl,

I downloaded Ad-Aware. Just checking-- I need to delete Windows Security Essentials, right?
    I'm not sure Windows will allow you to delete it, you may just have to disable it.

I already have Windows Firewall. Should I delete it to use one of these, do you think, or just leave it as it is?
    The choice is yours, but Windows Firewall is fine.

You don't want to have more than one AV or FW running at any one time. Doing so may actually degrade your protection. Always remember, one anti virus and one firewall.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

You don't want to have more than one AV or FW running at any one time. Doing so may actually degrade your protection. Always remember, one anti virus and one firewall.
    Even with the compatible install? AdAware says it detected an incompatible software but can do a compatible install (that was after I turned off WSE, so I'm not sure what else to do with that).

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Nightwingsgurl,

Uninstall the AdAware Anti Virus software, reboot, then reinstall.

If you are presented with an error message or pop-up, please copy down exactly what it says. Or if possible, take a screenshot and post in your next reply.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Nightwingsgurl,

Just checking in to see if you still need help?
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Malware Team-Emeritus

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.

If you still require help, please start a new topic and include fresh FRST and aswMBR logs, along with a link to your previous thread.

Please do not add any logs that might have been requested previously, you would be starting fresh.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start your own topic.

--------------------------------------------
    Admin Edit
    "Thank you" OCD.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE