Thread: Immunization says Firefox is open. It isn't.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Immunization says Firefox is open. It isn't.

This morning before I switched the internet on I did an 'Admin' immunization. I got an error message telling me that Firefox was open. I couldn't find any way of convincing it that I'd only just switched on, FF hadn't even been launched yet. Is this a problem or safe to ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by JJMMWG DuPree View Post
    This morning before I switched the internet on I did an 'Admin' immunization. I got an error message telling me that Firefox was open. I couldn't find any way of convincing it that I'd only just switched on, FF hadn't even been launched yet. Is this a problem or safe to ignore?
    Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager. Double check that Firefox is not running in the background. Something in your startup may have called it, and it didn't close.

I finally remembered to do the check at startup so I tried using the 3-fingered salute, but the task manager only shows Spybot as running. Of course Spybot itself is using a Windows, er... window. It wouldn't be mistaking that for Firefox would it?

Quote Originally Posted by JJMMWG DuPree View Post
    I finally remembered to do the check at startup so I tried using the 3-fingered salute, but the task manager only shows Spybot as running. Of course Spybot itself is using a Windows, er... window. It wouldn't be mistaking that for Firefox would it?
    No, it shouldn't do that. Look for Firefox in the list of processes. Click the top of the process column to sort the processes in alphabetical order. It may be running as a process but not show as a running application.

K-Meleon.

I should have thought of that. It installed itself with the systems icons, which I did think was a bit weird but I assumed it was just a misplaced short cut. I wonder what fiendish stuff it's doing in there.

I'll reinstall it and see what it's up to.

Thanks!