Thread: Spybot causing temporary lockups?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot causing temporary lockups?

I am currently running Spybot V. 2.4. Recently I began to notice that my computer (Running Windows 8.1 x64-bit and 8Gb RAM) was rapidly and temporarily locking. It was as if the focus was removed from whatever I was working on. This was particularly noticeable when typing anything like a document or email.

It seemed the only way to escape the problem was to reboot. Until it happened again.

I could not find any preceding action or program that caused the problem. Dumping the log for the system didn't provide much clarity.

Just recently, I started to activate the Task Manager, and it was instructive. I would see the listing of running processes jump up and down rapidly. With that clue, I began to look at the line just before the "jumping" lines. (The ones above remained in place.)

What I saw surprised me. See the attached screen shot. It showed Spybot subservient to "Windows Security Center integration (32-bit)." When I stopped that process, the problem disappeared (until the next time).

My question is, "What's happening here?" Is the problem with Spybot or with the Windows Security Center integration? Which is the culprit? Why? And finally, is there a way, short of dumping Spybot that the problem can be permanently resolved?
    Attached Images Attached Images