Thread: What is "Please wait scanning download directories"? Super slow/program crash?

Default What is "Please wait scanning download directories"? Super slow/program crash?

Hello!

I have Win7 and am using the most recent installable v1.6 of Spybot.

So I was trying to do some research on a small issue with Spybot. When I hit scan and it comes toward the very end, it starts looking for a malware key named "Please wait scanning download directories".

Now, from what I have seen and what I have read, this is actually malware that it's looking for. The problem is that the program gets stuck and doesn't do anything. It slid through most of the scan within about a 30 minutes, then got stuck on this entry for about 2 hours.

This is where I got stupid and figured something was wrong with it, mucked something up pretty good where it did something to the program, blah blah blah couldn't fix it, so I blew all the components away and did a clean re-install. I also cleared out my download folders (as I have no clue what would be considered a "download directory") because I had no idea what exactly it was looking for or looking at.

Well, now it's been sitting at this malware scan key of "Please wait scanning download directories" for a couple hours now after the clean re-install. I don't want to ignore the product in Expert Mode since it seems to be the name of legitimate malware that should be scanned for, but it doesn't seem right that Spybot just stops and stays on this one thing and does nothing.

Is it a silent program crash? Am I just being impatient?

I have no idea. Some insight would be amazing!

Directory and folder should mean the same thing.Please see here.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001320.htm

Spybot would be scanning the download directories for malware,yes.

Please give this a try:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...l=1#post334313

I found that thread through Google and it didn't help my problem, which is why I registered to ask. I have no idea what it's saying as far as "disabling" the download folder, if it's to ignore those areas through Spybot or turn them off through Windows. It also seems illogical to remove the product if "Please wait scanning download directories" is describing the action that the program is taking- I wouldn't want it to exclude anything.

How will this affect the scan if I remove it? Will the download directories be scanned still in a full-system scan, or is it a shortcut just to get the program to 'work'?

If it's just a shortcut then the program won't be doing the complete job that I installed it for.

How will this affect the scan if I remove it? Will the download directories be scanned still in a full-system scan, or is it a shortcut just to get the program to 'work'?
    I'm not exactly sure,I have Spybot 2.4.You could contact support and ask them.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/cont...sonal-edition/

Default This worked for me

Hi,

Had similar problem with Spybot freezing at the end of the scan (scanning download directories)

After trying all the methods on forums and such like, without success, I downloaded and run the McAfee removal tool. The system had McAfee products on it but they were uninstalled using the usual uninstall method in the control panel (programs and features.) The usual method doesn't seem to remove everything McAfee.

After the McAfee removal tool had done its thing, I restarted the PC and now Spybot scans all the way to the end with no freezing or any other issues!

An old thread I know, but this problem seems to have been going on for a long time with no real fix. Hopefully the McAfee removal tool fixes it for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Hello!

I have Win7 and am using the most recent installable v1.6 of Spybot.

So I was trying to do some research on a small issue with Spybot. When I hit scan and it comes toward the very end, it starts looking for a malware key named "Please wait scanning download directories".

Now, from what I have seen and what I have read, this is actually malware that it's looking for. The problem is that the program gets stuck and doesn't do anything. It slid through most of the scan within about a 30 minutes, then got stuck on this entry for about 2 hours.

This is where I got stupid and figured something was wrong with it, mucked something up pretty good where it did something to the program, blah blah blah couldn't fix it, so I blew all the components away and did a clean re-install. I also cleared out my download folders (as I have no clue what would be considered a "download directory") because I had no idea what exactly it was looking for or looking at.

Well, now it's been sitting at this malware scan key of "Please wait scanning download directories" for a couple hours now after the clean re-install. I don't want to ignore the product in Expert Mode since it seems to be the name of legitimate malware that should be scanned for, but it doesn't seem right that Spybot just stops and stays on this one thing and does nothing.

Is it a silent program crash? Am I just being impatient?

I have no idea. Some insight would be amazing!