Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install failed in Windows 7 Pro, SP1

Exclamation Install failed in Windows 7 Pro, SP1

Hello folks,

Recently changed computers from my old XP to W7P, SP1. Had v.1.6.2 working fine and when I tried updating to latest/greatest, it failed to update after installing! Have tried several fixes, from firewall to admin. privileges. Tried to go back to 1.6.2 and now IT will NOT work either.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert G.

Tried to go back to 1.6.2 and now IT will NOT work either.
    Did the install for the 1.6.2 fail,or is the 1.6.2 not updating?

Thumbs up Spybot trouble in Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Did the install for the 1.6.2 fail,or is the 1.6.2 not updating?
    Zenobia:

Thanks for responding. The answer is a little of both; 1.6.2 and 2.? both install but then fail to update! The bigger problem with the latest version is it cannot even download the files needed just to run.

I was using an XP system until just recently, it updated to the newest version and had 1.6.2 on this one and now lost the use of that.

Thanks again for any advice, suggestion or fixes you can provide.

Sincerely,

Robert Goltz

You're welcome.
    Any errors when you try to update,or anything like that?

Default S&D Install/update issue(s)

You're welcome.
    Any errors when you try to update,or anything like that?
    Z:

No error messages at all. The programs (both 1.6.2 and 2.?) just hang while trying to connect to the server(s) to update files.

Tried adjusting Firewall rules but did not make any difference.

Thanks again for you interest in my problem(s).

Regards,

Robert

You're welcome.

If you don't ordinarily use a proxy:
    Open Internet Explorer,click the gear at the upper right,select Internet Options.Click the Connections tab,click the Lan Settings button.If there is a checkmark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN",uncheck,and press OK.Then back in the Connections tab,click Apply and OK.

For Spybot 1.6.2,rightclick it and select Run As Administrator,then click Mode,Advanced Mode,then use this to clear the Use Proxy:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ble-the-proxy/

For Spybot 2.4,rightclick the Start Center and select Run As Administrator,then checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Settings,then the Internet Protection tab.If the Use Spybot Proxy is checkmarked,uncheck it and click Apply and OK.

Then try updating whichever Spybot you prefer to keep and please let me know how it goes.

Default Install/Update issue

Hello Zenobia:

Just an FYI update here. I've just realized that many of my "free" software programs, including but not limited to: Java, Flash, Advanced System Care, and my iDrive backup, are also not updating.

Made two changes at this time and am testing again: changed User Account Control(UAC) in Windows 7 CP to notify ONLY when changes to the system programs occur. I had it set to not notify at all and running as administrator does not make a difference!

Second I unchecked the "Auto detect" setting in IE proxy tab for my LAN.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Robert

Okay,thanks.

Default 1.6.2 now working...yeah

You're welcome.

If you don't ordinarily use a proxy:
    Open Internet Explorer,click the gear at the upper right,select Internet Options.Click the Connections tab,click the Lan Settings button.If there is a checkmark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN",uncheck,and press OK.Then back in the Connections tab,click Apply and OK.

For Spybot 1.6.2,rightclick it and select Run As Administrator,then click Mode,Advanced Mode,then use this to clear the Use Proxy:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ble-the-proxy/

For Spybot 2.4,rightclick the Start Center and select Run As Administrator,then checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Settings,then the Internet Protection tab.If the Use Spybot Proxy is checkmarked,uncheck it and click Apply and OK.

Then try updating whichever Spybot you prefer to keep and please let me know how it goes.
    Z:

Sorry to scream the title here, but I changed a few things like I said and even upped UAC to notify when I make changes. DL'd 1.6.2 and it installed and updated finally! The first update attempted on mirror FastSpeedTest failed w/ "Bad checksum". Tried again from SecurityWonks and after allowing my RAM to catch up, it updated perfectly and is now immunizing and scanning as I write this.

May or may not try to go to v. 2.?, happy with 1.6.2 and not wanting to waste more time, since I already donated these many years now, I'm gonna see how it goes.

Thank you again for all of your time, effort and suggestion. I bid you Peace!

Sincerely,

Robert G.

Good,glad it's working.