Thread: locking and unlocking host files

Default locking and unlocking host files

I'm using Home Edition v 2.4 on Win 8.

I use Desktop Server. Spybot won't let it update the host files. I can't find the option. Anyone remember where I turn off host file locking?

Thanks.

Try going to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc,rightclick Hosts(no extension),select Properties,then uncheck Read Only,click Apply and if you're prompted by UAC to give permission,click Yes,then click OK.

Anytime that immunization is added to the Hosts file,Spybot will set it to read only,so if it happens again,just go back and remove Read Only.
    Or,if you prefer,you can rightclick Spybot start center,select Run As Administrator,click Immunization,click Check Immunization,then click Show Details,scroll down to Global (Hosts) and click on it,then rightclick and select Ignore selected item in the future.That will stop the Read Only,but it will also prevent further immunization to the hosts file.
    If you do set Hosts to ignore and change your mind later,just go back to Immunization,Show details,rightclick and remove it from the Ignore list.

Thumbs up

Thanks! I should have thought of going straight to the file. Worked like a charm.

You're welcome.